Main Menu

Column auto to floor shift steering column conversion

Started by HP2, March 27, 2019, 06:41:35 PM

Previous topic Next topic

HP2

Both couplers are .620 n the splined area, so no difference there. I'll go with the short one. Save a few ounces of weight.

Thanks again!

HP2

Going back together now. Got to this point and I'm wondering if there is supposed to be a spring or something that pulls the key removal tab back. There wasn't  one in the box of parts that came with this column but I've got some spares I could probably make work.

anlauto

Yes there is a spring in the lower collar that hooks to the collar and the main tube :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

HP2

Cool. Okay, found a smallish spring in my collection of junk.  Unfolded one end to sit on the stand off on the collar. Straightened out the other end to hook in a small hole on the tube. It's springing back and forth as it should now.

Was cleaning up my coupler in prep for rebuild and noticed it had no master spline. Thought that was weird.  Once I got all the gunk and crud out of it, noticed a burr inside it. Once I removed the burr,  it appears some one cut a groove part way down in the master spline. It was far enough in I may not have other wise noticed it. Glad I found it before trying to install it on the steering box.

Its always something...