Main Menu

correct brake booster?

Started by cuda hunter, October 06, 2020, 09:39:33 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cuda hunter

I need a correct brake booster for my December 6th built  JS23V0B car.
What is the correct part number?

Is 18268 the correct part number? 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

6bblgt

disc or drum brakes?

disc is the same used on the T/A  :bigmoney:  most part numbers (and casting numbers are 7-digits

https://forum.e-bodies.org/parts-misc-for-sale/9/70-only-disc-brake-master-cylinder-sold/16787/msg220692#msg220692

cuda hunter

I'm sorry Dan.  I meant brake booster not master cylinder.  I changed the title.  Sometimes I am a dumb ass.

So then the question remains about the booster. 

Thanks for the info on the master though.  that casting number 171 sure is a difficult one to find. 

And sense there is no build sheet for my car I am assuming disk brakes.  No front suspension either.
Is there a specific way that I can tell if they were drum or brake from a shell of a car? 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

anlauto

Is the original rear axle there ? What size are the rear brakes ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

EV2RTSE

Picture is of my original booster from my R/T SE -

IMHO even if a car came with manual brakes originally, I doubt anyone would be terribly upset with a factory appearing disc setup installed as an upgrade.

anlauto

Is the brake pedal still in the car ? Is there two studs coming through the firewall above the hole for the master cylinder/booster ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

cuda hunter

Quote from: anlauto on October 07, 2020, 05:17:38 AM
Is the original rear axle there ? What size are the rear brakes ?

Nope and no. 

cuda hunter

Quote from: EV2RTSE on October 07, 2020, 06:47:09 AM

IMHO even if a car came with manual brakes originally, I doubt anyone would be terribly upset with a factory appearing disc setup installed as an upgrade.

that's kind of what I was thinking. 

cuda hunter

Quote from: anlauto on October 07, 2020, 07:27:27 AM
Is the brake pedal still in the car ? Is there two studs coming through the firewall above the hole for the master cylinder/booster ?

No brake pedal.  there are two studs above the hole. 

anlauto

Quote from: cuda hunter on October 07, 2020, 08:37:03 AM
Quote from: anlauto on October 07, 2020, 07:27:27 AM

No brake pedal.  there are two studs above the hole.

The two studs indicate the car was a manual brake car. Those studs will need to be removed to add power brakes :alan2cents:

cuda hunter

Ok.  couple more questions.

How much horse power is lost by using a power brake set up?

Since the car has no build sheet and i'm trying to stay as close to original as I can with the car and fender tag, is it worth it to change the manual brakes to the power brakes?  In resale terms and in restoration terms. 

cuda hunter

Quote from: EV2RTSE on October 07, 2020, 06:47:09 AM

Are the smaller numbers above the larger 18000 the date code numbers? 
Anyone have specific numbers I should look for that would be on a December 6th car?

Cudajason

Quote from: cuda hunter on October 07, 2020, 12:07:24 PM
Ok.  couple more questions.

How much horse power is lost by using a power brake set up?

Since the car has no build sheet and i'm trying to stay as close to original as I can with the car and fender tag, is it worth it to change the manual brakes to the power brakes?  In resale terms and in restoration terms.

I would say none....the boosters hook to a vacuum source off the intake.  Can't imagine that takes an HP.
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

anlauto

Some people prefer manual brakes for that nice "firm feel"  Adding options to a rare car never really increase the value, maybe the re-sale ability. :alan2cents:

cuda hunter

So the booster would really only appeal to a more "drivable" car. 

I've not directly driven two cars with both options to see the difference.  without the booster the pedal has to be pushed quite hard to get the brakes to do what you want but you can feel that tension directly.
With the booster, the push on the pedal will be equal until stopped, correct?

I'm leaning towards not installing a booster since the car didn't come with one.