Main Menu

disc brake spindle size

Started by GoMangoBoys, May 19, 2020, 06:54:34 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

I picked up some disc brake hardware that was supposed to be from a 71 or 72 charger.  I got the spindles, dust shields and caliper brackets.  I am trying to buy the rest of the stuff that we need and I am hitting a possible snag.  When I look at the parts on Rock Auto and on Summit websites, the inner bearing has an ID of 1.25".  When I measure the spindles that I have, they measure 1.37"
Is there an option that uses a larger spindle?
Thanks.

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

GoMangoBoys

If I go with the bearing from a 73, what rotor do I use?  73?  Will that work with the same caliper and caliper bracket as a 71? or do I go with all 73 parts?
Thanks

Bullitt-

Apparently you don't have '71 spindles & that bracket looks like the later model slider caliper although I can't be sure what you have just looking at the photo.. You will be lucky to use the '73 & later rotor as they are much more available & generally lower cost.   Perhaps post the part numbers so that someone can confirm just what you have. 

And you should read up on the subject... they don't recommend the B/R-bodies, F/J/M bodies spindle https://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/brakes/disc-main.html
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

GoMangoBoys

Per the info on the allpar page, I appear to have the 73-74 spindles.  There are no numbers on them, but the measurements match up.  The caliper brackets that I have are the pin type KH.  I have a KH780034 and aKH83525.  The allpar article talks about measuring from the center of the mounting hole to the center of the pin hole.  I measured mine and got 3.25"  The article draws a distinction between 3.125 and 3.5.  Maybe I should measure again tomorrow when I am not so tired???  I also do not see an option on Rock Auto for 11.75" rotor as indicated in the allpar article. 

Bullitt-

KH83525 appears to be the smaller pin type bracket so I'm thinking '73 challenger or charger parts should work... I actually swapped pads & rotors between my '73's once upon a time. 
  The 11.75 rotor found on some '76 & later models will not work with those brackets