Main Menu

E-Body Tire Sizes (what fits, what's too big, what looks good)

Started by Timbbuc2, October 16, 2017, 08:16:55 AM

Previous topic Next topic

shawge

@dave73chally
Thanks! I took my inspiration from Mitch's and Brad's cars.
I've got 1.12" TBs (thinking about going larger) - the front end doesn't move much when I jump up/down on the bumper.  DrDiff brake kit moves the track out by 3/16" per side so the offset needs factor that in.  If the car were lowered more the fender brace would start to get in the way.

With a stock E-body rear, the wheels would have fit but they would be much too close the the leafs for comfort and would have rubbed the fender with something heavy in the rear. I think a 1" relo and an offset change would have worked.  I wanted the B-body rear for the increased wheel options in the future.
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

LinceCuda

Back when I was in high school in the 70's Ronnie Sox was the man, so we all went with the Pro Stock look. I had the 10" Cragars and skinny Cragars on my 70 RT and I'm going back with the Pro Stock look on my Cuda build. So 10" Cragars with 275/60R/15 on the back and 4.5" Cragars with 165/80R/15 on the front. Air shocks a must have.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

LinceCuda

Quote from: anlauto on November 12, 2017, 03:15:43 PM
Air shocks here too ! :drooling:
What a great looking Cuda Al, the color both in and out great stance then top it off with a shaker. :cheers:

anlauto

Quote from: LinceCuda on November 12, 2017, 04:43:43 PM
Quote from: anlauto on November 12, 2017, 03:15:43 PM
Air shocks here too ! :drooling:
What a great looking Cuda Al, the color both in and out great stance then top it off with a shaker. :cheers:

It's the world famous "Barrelcuda" in it's "day two" mode.... 8)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

235X60X15 and 245X60X15. 15X7 rims all around because of the backspace of the torquthrusts and stock E-body rear. I like the road ready look on a Challenger.
Sheldon

Husk Challenger

Challenger 73' 383ci 4spd ---> SOLD
Challenger 71' 318 904 RT clone ---> Stroker 318/392 Tf 727!

Squire Edgar

275/60/15 on back with eight inch rims. 235/60/15 with 7 inch rims on front, not sure of backspace but I am about 1/2 an inch from the leafs. Also running air shocks.

dave73

Three posts on this page alone about people running air shocks. Thought they were a big no no?

303 Mopar

Quote from: dave73chally on November 16, 2017, 11:50:33 AM
Three posts on this page alone about people running air shocks. Thought they were a big no no?

These cars were not meant to run air shocks, which hammer the shock support.  They eventually will crack or break the support.  You can arc your springs inside of running air shocks, or just by tires that fit.  Run them at your own risk.   :thumbdown:

Brads70

They were on my car when I first bought it...... first part to come off too!  :iagree:

LinceCuda

Quote from: Brads70 on November 16, 2017, 02:26:10 PM

They were on my car when I first bought it...... first part to come off too!  :iagree:
Quote from: 303 Mopar on November 16, 2017, 11:55:42 AM
It's for the old school look and I ran air shocks back in the 70's for 4 years straight. The air shocks were already on the car when I got it and who knows how long before me and never a issue or breakage of anything. Now fast forward to 2017 and realize that we only drive our cars how many miles a year???? Yes you can buy or arch your springs and in my opinion it looks like A$$. Just one mans opinion.

These cars were not meant to run air shocks, which hammer the shock support.  They eventually will crack or break the support.  You can arc your springs inside of running air shocks, or just by tires that fit.  Run them at your own risk.   :thumbdown:

Todd489

235 60 15 front,. 255 60 15 rear. Had F60 15 polyglas, got rid of them.

headejm

Looking good @Todd489! Are those factory 15x7 rims? I'm thinking you have the best combo and I'm leaning that way for my build. How about a photo from directly behind your car? I'd like to see what the 255's look like from a width standpoint.  :cheers:

Todd489

Yes, 15x7. Factory repo wheels,. I will get more pics from the rear this weekend.