Main Menu

Front Disc Brake Help

Started by edison1970, July 25, 2018, 05:57:08 PM

Previous topic Next topic

303 Mopar

And be careful, 1970 spindles are a one year only.... ;)

anlauto

Quote from: 303 Mopar on July 30, 2018, 07:47:32 PM

Yes and no....the bearing size change was in the 1971 model year. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

303 Mopar

Quote from: anlauto on July 30, 2018, 07:50:01 PM

All I know is I tried to buy an e-body rotor that was 71-74 and it would not fit my '70 spindles, so that is how I learned.

72bluNblu

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on July 30, 2018, 07:15:48 PM
Accept that this isn't something from the era of the cars, it's something that still holds true to this day.....

Right, what you describe is still best practice. But your "factory engineer" argument is still without meaning. There's plenty of things the factory engineers did wrong, just saying the factory did it that way doesn't necessarily make it right.

Regardless, running a longer hose if it's necessary to run better brakes and a bigger sway bar is better practice than sacrificing braking and handling to run a shorter hose like the factory did.

Quote from: anlauto on July 30, 2018, 07:42:13 PM
Actually if we are talking about a "stock" 1970-74 E Body set-up, then hanging the calipers on the rear is "wrong" really no way to argue that. :alan2cents: 

Is there other ways to do it ? Is there other styles of brakes that require it ? I'm sure there is, but that doesn't make it "right" for a "stock" 1970-74 E Body. :drinkingbud:

It's not original, and it's not factory correct, but neither of those things makes it wrong. The calipers will work just fine mounted to the rear with the proper length hose. If it ties some purists' underwear in a knot that's ok too.

Quote from: peterro on July 30, 2018, 07:39:52 PM
Very funny. I just came in from the shop after taking the attached pictures. I've just got the car running right and next up I wanted to figure out what I did wrong on my brake setup. I sort of knew the flex lines were a bit short and not quite right. So I went out and took a few pictures to post on here to get some advice.

It seems I may have done the exact same thing. I don't remember what these spindles/brakes were from (it's been a bunch of years) but I do remember at the time trying to get lines that worked. They're too short and kink when at full turn.

Not only are they on the back of the rotor but am I right in that everything should swap side to side like edison1970? If I need longer lines, what is recommended when I try to buy them since I'm pretty sure the calipers aren't original e-body? Maybe someone recognizes the caliper types and knows what lines should be used.

Thanks in advance.

Nope, those definitely aren't E-body calipers. They're probably B/R or F/M/J calipers. They're a slider type instead of the pin-type used by E-bodies.

For hoses there are a few options. You can run FMJ hoses, because unlike E-bodies they mounted their calipers to the rear. A '77 Volare should give you the right length, Dorman #H88971. It may have an extra bracket on it though. You can also use ACDELCO 18J3722 if you can get over it not being a Mopar part. Brake lines are brake lines.

Something else to check, you may want to measure the piston diameter of the caliper. 1973-75 A-bodies also use a caliper that looks like that, but they have a piston diameter of 2.6" instead of 2.75" like everything else. Which would reduce your braking power. If it was a full swap that included spindles, the A-body spindles are also about 3/8" shorter. It's not a big deal, but if you had A-body spindles it does change suspension the geometry a little.

72bluNblu

Quote from: 303 Mopar on July 30, 2018, 07:52:00 PM
Quote from: anlauto on July 30, 2018, 07:50:01 PM

All I know is I tried to buy an e-body rotor that was 71-74 and it would not fit my '70 spindles, so that is how I learned.

The bearing change was in '73. '70- '72 used smaller inner bearings and the 2 piece rotors.

Any E-body rotor listed as "71-74" is screwed up to begin with, that's a labeling problem. '70-'72 was the 2 piece style, '73/74 was the once piece style rotor with larger inner bearing.