Main Menu

Front Drum Rebuild

Started by 71383bee, July 20, 2022, 10:31:12 AM

Previous topic Next topic

71383bee

Hello all,

I am looking to do a quick brake job on my convertible and I have had trouble finding parts for the front drums.  The convert has standard 10" brakes and I have been able to locate the shoes, and wheel cylinders.  What I cant get are the springs, adjusters, and shoe hold downs.  From the FSM they look exactly the same as the rears, but wasn't sure.  Does anyone know if I can just order up the rear spring and adjuster kit?

Thanks,
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

Filthy Filbert

you should be able to order that at any auto-parts store

MoparLeo

It is just a basic hardware kit. Every thing except the adjusters is in the kit. The adjusters are ordered as a separate kit. Get boded ling not the riveted type. You get more life from the bonded and they don't crack like the riveted type.

I see your problem. Most parts stores only show rear brake parts for drum brakes. Just going to have to keep looking. No quick parts here.Another good reason to think about a front disc upgrade. You can even do it with stock parts.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

71383bee

I agree it should be easy.  I went to three auto parts stores and they have everything for the rear but none for the fronts.  Therefore as my question states...is the rear kit any different than the front? 

71383bee

OK...I grabbed my balls and said F it.  I looked at the FSM and the fronts look Exactly like the rears so I just ordered a set of rear springs and adjusters.  Along with a set of inner and outer wheel bearings.

I have about half the stuff for a disc brake swap but I can get a clear answer on MC and prop valves I'm not taking any chances as my wife drives this car and will keep with what i know still works.  I just did the rears and the car is marginally better, but the fronts is where its at with these so I'm not surprised.  I've had 4 wheel drum for years and honestly I don't think they are really that bad for a stock car.  We are talking a stock 318 with 4bbl on it so for now I'm good with this route. 

I'll let you all know if this doesn't work. 

Thanks,