Main Menu

Hemi power steering hose question

Started by se440, March 02, 2021, 04:04:56 PM

Previous topic Next topic

se440

All, several years ago I remember purchasing a reproduction power steering pressure hose for a 70 ebody with a Hemi and federal pump. This reproduction hose resembled the original factory hose with the correct bends that connected to the 90 degree fitting on the steering box. Does anyone know if someone is still producing this hose? Does anyone have this hose that they are willing to sell?

If not, would a different hose resemble the original hose used on a hemi? For example, would a 340 hose look similar? Any recommendations? The aftermarket hoses look nothing like the factory hoses. Input is greatly appreciated.

Cuda Cody

Welcome to the forum @se440    :welcome:  The first person I would check with would be David at Roseville Moparts @MoparDave   I bet he will have it or know who does.

Skdmark

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

se440

It was my understanding a B-Body hose on the hemi was different than the hose on the E-Body hemi. Can anyone confirm this?

Cuda_mark

@se440 I'm on the same hunt as you are. I think I will end up buying a hose that is close but needs the steering box end modified and re-flared. I don't think you will be able to find one of the older reproduction hoses. I even went as far as to make some calls to see if I could find out where/who made the original reproduction hoses to get another run made but I couldn't find out who made them.

71383bee

I'm in the same boat. I have that same hose on my 73 340 with the federal pump and cooler. It is rubbing but still intact. I tried to get a contractor equipment hydraulic hose maker to make one but they would not touch it for liability purposes. Huge bummer as obviously we are not alone in needing one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

se440

@71383bee Are you saying you have the hemi hose on your 340? Same hose I have in the photo on my original post?

I was looking at other hoses and an NOS 70-73 340 power steering hose looks very similar to the hemi hose I need. There are just some slight differences but I might be able to bend the tubing in a way to replicate the Hemi hose. I am just not sure if it would have the proper length.

I have been trying to get my hands on one of the Hemi hoses to take it to a local shop to see if they would replicate it for me. I would just need a template for them to duplicate it. I would think I could find someone who could make it awfully close.

71383bee

It is my understanding that they are the same with maybe minor differences at the fittings. 

My knowledge on hemi's is VERY small so i can not say that it is but i understand that both used the federal with the cooler and i have purchased several replacements all of which don't work. 

I have some pictures of how it mounts to the pump.  I can try and get some of how it goes to the gearbox later this week. 

I would be happy to loan it out over a winter to someone if they are able to remake one.  Someone out there has got to I imagine. 

se440

Although it is hard to tell from those photos, it's hard for me to see the resemblance in your hose to the Hemi hose. The bend in the tubing on the pump side seems to be much different. Here is a photo of a 340 hose that closely resembles the Hemi hose. It is the closest looking NOS hose I have seen.

Cuda_mark

Here are some pics that a member (Pasi) took for me. Its of a reproduction HEMI hose that Megaparts used to sell.

se440

I have never been so excited to see a re-production part  :)

Someone has to have one of these laying around that they want to sell. If not, perhaps someone would allow me to borrow this hose? I would be willing to try and get it made locally for any members that needed one. There are several custom hose/hydraulic shops around here. I would think I could get someone to produce it for me.

MoparDave

Quote from: se440 on March 02, 2021, 04:04:56 PM
All, several years ago I remember purchasing a reproduction power steering pressure hose for a 70 ebody with a Hemi and federal pump. This reproduction hose resembled the original factory hose with the correct bends that connected to the 90 degree fitting on the steering box. Does anyone know if someone is still producing this hose? Does anyone have this hose that they are willing to sell?

If not, would a different hose resemble the original hose used on a hemi? For example, would a 340 hose look similar? Any recommendations? The aftermarket hoses look nothing like the factory hoses. Input is greatly appreciated.

welcome i do show a source that shows a listing for the 70 E hemi PS hose. I sent an email over to them. Once i get word back if they are still producing i'll report back.
Please Email me at daver@manciniracing.com or call 586-790-4100

71383bee

Quote from: se440 on March 03, 2021, 12:48:22 PM
Although it is hard to tell from those photos, it's hard for me to see the resemblance in your hose to the Hemi hose. The bend in the tubing on the pump side seems to be much different. Here is a photo of a 340 hose that closely resembles the Hemi hose. It is the closest looking NOS hose I have seen.

I can try and see if it's a stock hose.  Again I have no idea if its 100% correct but I do know that I have not had any success finding a replacement.  I confirmed the pump, pulley, and cooler are stock and fall with in a good range for the production of the car.  Based on that Ii have a pretty reasonable case that its the stock hose but again I don't 100% know.  Let me see if I can get to her and get some better photos. 

I'm also willing to lend it out to someone to build one for a few months if that helps the cause.   

OK  I took more photos.  Its in the 50's today! 

1 Wild R/T