Main Menu

Hotchkis suspension

Started by booyaballer, February 18, 2017, 10:03:08 PM

Previous topic Next topic

booyaballer

I am planning/hoping to add a Hotchkiss TVS to my 70 challenger.  Has anyone had any experience with the ride of it?  I am hoping the kit will not make the ride stiff. 

Any suggestions on the rear suspension?

Cuda Cody

I think @303 Mopar  is running some parts of it and @GoodysGotaCuda is running the full set up?

@Brads70  has a sway bar of their if I recall?

Brads70

I'm using their sway bars and upper control arms. Good quality stuff, no complaints.  I've read that their rear leaf springs make the rear end sit pretty low? I don't like how their subframe connectors hang so low.
You will notice a big improvement in handling though over the stock parts.

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Cuda Cody on February 18, 2017, 10:14:13 PM
I think @303 Mopar  is running some parts of it and @GoodysGotaCuda is running the full set up?

I have nearly their entire e-body offering, but  no miles on it yet.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

ToxicWolf

Quote from: Brads70 on February 19, 2017, 01:49:58 AM
I'm using their sway bars and upper control arms. Good quality stuff, no complaints.  I've read that their rear leaf springs make the rear end sit pretty low? I don't like how their subframe connectors hang so low.
You will notice a big improvement in handling though over the stock parts.

:iagree: we pulled the springs because of the droop. The rest of the kit is good.

303 Mopar

Quote from: Cuda Cody on February 18, 2017, 10:14:13 PM

I have the Hotchkis front and rear sway bars, the fox adjustable shocks in the front and the fox shocks in the rear.  All really good parts!  The tube UCA was overkill for my car, the frame connectors hand too low as Brad mentioned, and I did not want to drop my rear so I did not go for the rear springs.

Jamie

:slapme5:I have everything but the rear springs. Also have bilstien shocks, with my 18" wheels it's a little bit of a firm ride, however you can push the turns as far as the grip on your tires will hold. My sticky bfg's break free in the rear and there is basically zero body roll. With my rally wheels on, the ride is not that bad.

booyaballer

Thanks for all the input.

Jamie, what's the off set and tires you are running on the 18"wheels? and did they require any modifications to make them fit?

autoxcuda

I've got about 8500 miles on my complete setup. The heims are worn out. I don't have dust covers (my setup predates them).

The lube-able Howe tie rods Brad70 uses I think would have more longevity even with dust cover heims.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

303 Mopar

Quote from: booyaballer on March 08, 2017, 08:34:00 PM
what's the off set and tires you are running on the 18"wheels? and did they require any modifications to make them fit?

I'm running US Mag U111 18x8 (4.5"bs) w/ 245/45s and 18x9.5 (5.25" bs) with 275/40s.  http://us-mags.com/rambler-u111-w-6133.htm

No mods to suspension and clears the lip without rolling it.  https://forum.e-bodies.org/wheels-tires-brakes-suspension-and-steering/12/us-mags/25/msg106#msg106

cbuczesk

@cudaboy340 has it on his 1967 Belvedere II.

Chuck

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: autoxcuda on March 08, 2017, 08:45:55 PM
I've got about 8500 miles on my complete setup. The heims are worn out. I don't have dust covers (my setup predates them).

The lube-able Howe tie rods Brad70 uses I think would have more longevity even with dust cover heims.

That's pretty decent life on those rod ends, especially with no dust covers and if you run it hard often. I went for the dust covers on the UCAs, Strut Rods and Tie Rods, we'll see how they last. They are quite annoying to install..
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

HP2

Quote from: booyaballer on February 18, 2017, 10:03:08 PM
I am planning/hoping to add a Hotchkiss TVS to my 70 challenger.  Has anyone had any experience with the ride of it?  I am hoping the kit will not make the ride stiff. 

Ride quality is such a subjective term. I have seen guys on web boards complaining that the factory R/T set up was too stiff, yet others running near competition set ups that are quite happy with them. A blanket question like this will be hard to quantify as  we can't put a hard number on it like an elapsed time of miles per hour.

Perhaps equating it to something you are familiar with or wish to be similar to will help in comparisons. Overall, modern cars tend to be 15-30%  higher sprung than these classic we like and in  many cases these  "performance" set ups simply get our classics into modern territory.

autoxcuda

Quote from: HP2 on March 11, 2017, 06:55:04 AM
Quote from: booyaballer on February 18, 2017, 10:03:08 PM

Ride quality is such a subjective term. I have seen guys on web boards complaining that the factory R/T set up was too stiff, yet others running near competition set ups that are quite happy with them. A blanket question like this will be hard to quantify as  we can't put a hard number on it like an elapsed time of miles per hour.

Perhaps equating it to something you are familiar with or wish to be similar to will help in comparisons. Overall, modern cars tend to be 15-30%  higher sprung than these classic we like and in  many cases these  "performance" set ups simply get our classics into modern territory.

I drive in LA/so cal. So not a lot of dirt and dust around here. The car is always garaged and I periodically lubed them with high quality lube. And they have been worn for a time. Don't think dust covers are going to double or even 50% thier life.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

Brads70

Maybe the lube is causing accelerated wear, thinking the dirt/dust sticks to it?
When mine need replacing I'll likely go with these...
http://www.qa1.net/rod-ends-and-related/rod-ends/endura-series/am-series-aluminum
I'm using them now on the strut rod assembly's I made. Very common in circle track cars around here.
About 8 years now with no issues. I put on 3-4 thousand miles a year at least.