Main Menu

Final 15x10 tire/wheel test with 66-67 B body rear end

Started by GrandpaKevin, September 12, 2019, 12:07:08 PM

Previous topic Next topic

ClarkWGrizwald

Quote from: gzig5 on September 14, 2019, 06:43:24 PM
Clark,
You and I are on similar trajectories.  I want to run the twisties and don't have much interest in drag strip stuff.  Those wheels you have should be great to play with because you can adjust spacers to try a lot of offsets.  Here is the thread I think I mentioned before, I think he has the 1.5" kit.  This guy tracks his car a lot and sells parts.  The original pics are screwed up but there are good ones a couple pages in.
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2296697/1.html

Regarding the 1.5" kit,  I may look at doing that, I have the equipment.  I just got his 1" kit and it is not rocket science.  The only reason I'm aware of that he stopped doing it was some interference with the rear valance that guys didn't want to deal with.
Do you think the +1.5inch rear leaf springs are required for 315s/335s to fit? The hotchkis set up is definitely much lower in the rear.  I have a set of scales here at my house so i can corner weight the car. Id like to get an idea of where ride height is gonna be so i can the try to simulate that on the scales. That info should help determine just what rate springs and tbars I need. 

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

gzig5

My gut feel is that a 315 will fit with the 1" but that is about it.  There may be more info in  this thread.  I haven't gone through it in a while.

https://forum.e-bodies.org/wheels-tires-brakes-suspension-and-steering/12/e-body-tire-sizes-what-fits-whats-too-big-what-looks-good/4016/

I've got a set of Hotchkiss rear springs that will be going in when I swap the rear end.  I won't be buying the wheels until all the body, suspension, and brake work is done which will be a year or two.  So you will need to share your results so I can do it right the first time.   8)

HP2

Yes, leafs are the limiting factor in tire size in E bodies. Because they are splayed, there is more interference behind the tire than in front. Also, Challenger wells are a bit wider than Cuda wells, so that is a further limit.

You don't have to use a B body housing to get big tires in there. You can use the E body housing, but you will have to change the mounting pads to the narrow spring layout. This is why B body rears are so popular, they drop right in to a 1" relocation kit. Obviously, the choice of rear housing will impact what backspace actually works.

With a 6"+ backspace, you might asls consider the option of using a 71-74 B body, station wagon, or possibly a C body housing. These are wider and will put the mounting flange further out, which may allow using even more back space. Of course this won't necessary translate to similar fitment on the front. Best you might get away with up there is using a A body lower control arm with is only, I think, half inch wider. But, you could also consider some custom tubular arms with customer length to create the bakspace requirements you want.

I'm running a 26x10 in tire on an 8 inch wheel on the front of my Challenger. Fit is fine, but I also have 15" wheels, which limits my back space to 4.75" max. I'm currently running 4.5"