Main Menu

largest rear 15" tire & wheel in a stock 'cuda wheel well?

Started by 6bblgt, March 02, 2020, 01:07:22 PM

Previous topic Next topic

6bblgt

who has big 15" rear tires on their 'cuda?
what size & what backspace works inside a stock wheel well?

usraptor

Do a search on here. There are numerous posts on this topic, may even be a sticky.  Personally, when I bought my '70 'Cuda it had L60X15's on the stock rallye rims on the rear.  It now has 275X60X15 BF Goodrich TA radials on American Racing Torque thrust wheels on the rear 8" rims.  No rubbing issues.

mccannix

Agree with the L-60-15 Goodyear on a stock 15 x 7 rallye wheel.
Ran this for years with no problem.
Close, but no scrub issues.

Chryco Psycho

I got a 295 / 50 with less sidewall to fit in my Chall with the springs in stock location
with the spring offset in I bet you could get a 315 in there & it all depends what wheel size as the larger the wheel diameter the less the sidewall bulge

6bblgt

a little "glitch" in the project - there's a B-body DANA60 in the 'cuda - without relocated or offset spring hangers/shackles (spring perches were moved)

it currently has 15x7.0" rallyes with 215/65/15s  :sorry: any wider tire hits the leaf springs  :rolleyes:

Wayne

Not mine, but I saved this info. for reference.  295's fit easily.  315-325 can fit with proper backspace and wheel width combinations.  Here is one example I have saved.  In my opinion though 325 is too big for a 10" wheel.  I would keep it around 315

"I have a 70 Cuda fitted with a B body Dana 60 and inboard spring kit. I have 325 50 Mickey Thompson's on 15x10 which were custom built with 5 inch backspace. Everything fits inside the fenderwell with no cutting."
1970 Cuda 383 4spd red on red
Backyard Hotrods @ Youtube, Facebook & Instagram
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2bd5dyuOKCJT-kWhdEGm3A

xx88man

Quote from: 6bblgt on March 06, 2020, 12:43:04 AM
a little "glitch" in the project - there's a B-body DANA60 in the 'cuda - without relocated or offset spring hangers/shackles (spring perches were moved)

it currently has 15x7.0" rallyes with 215/65/15s  :sorry: any wider tire hits the leaf springs  :rolleyes:

I am curious because I plan on doing this in the future...... what is the reason you will rub with wider than 215? Is it wheel backspacing?
Keep yer foot in it

HP2

The specific year of B body combined with wheel backspace and leaf spring location all produce a range of variables that prevent this for being a one size fits all combination, in spite of its popularity. Additionally, E body leafs are a splayed installation, so they are farther from the vehicle's center line at the shackle than they are at the hanger.

To only get a 215 in there means something or several somethings are not playing well together. A narrower B housing with the wider E spring location sounds like the worst possible combination and could really create limits.