Main Menu

Hydro Brake Conversion Kit Experiences

Started by RayL, March 05, 2024, 01:26:10 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RayL

Asking for some feedback on hydro boost kits.

1973 Challenger Power Disc/Drum car. 383 of unknown origin, pulling only 11 inches of vacuum at idle.

I'm looking at complete kits to avoid searching/making items to adapt to my specific needs.

What kit did you use? Would you use the same one again?

What did you do for hoses? Standard hydraulic or AN type?

Any tips to share on installation like if you upgraded the power steering pump, reused the OEM Combination valve or replaced the flexible rubber lines with braided lines, etc...

These are the kits I've found so far. Any others to recommend?

Hydratech: https://www.hydratechbraking.com/Mopar_E_Body.html

Sweeting Performance: https://www.powerbrakeservice.net/hybofor19chc1.html

Gearhead Enterprises: https://www.ebay.com/itm/314771880313?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=3pF9w1dxSTy&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=dh7jD4WtRDa&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Thanks!

7212Mopar

I installed the kit from Hydratech. You get to choose the level of finishes, master cylinder option. They can provide you the braided high pressure lines plus the connecting fittings and adapters which I ordered. I rebuild the factory Signaw power steering pump but replaced the factory power steering box with the Borgeson unit. All of the work was done the same time I upgrade the front and rear discs and use an adjustable proportioning valve. I bend my own brake lines.

I would talk to Hydratech first about what you are planning to do first. I don't know if they offer brake lines.

A much cheaper alternative to install an electric vacuum pump if your only concern is that you don't have sufficient vacuum from your engine for power brake. I think there were a few members went with this route. Some just go with manual brakes carefully selecting the right master cylinders.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

bdschnei

I went pretty much the same route on my Challenger as 7212Mopar with the exception of replacing the pump as well with one from Peter Bergman. Installation went well and the system performs flawlessly.
Bret

Dakota

Quote from: 7212Mopar on March 05, 2024, 06:16:16 PMA much cheaper alternative to install an electric vacuum pump if your only concern is that you don't have sufficient vacuum from your engine for power brake. I think there were a few members went with this route.

If you haven't done so already, I'd humbly suggest you do some troubleshooting to make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks before launching down the road of an electric vacuum pump or a Hydraboost system.

I put in one of the electric vacuum pumps on my 70 Challenger.   I have a 340 with a stock intake manifold and a cam on unknown origin that only makes about 14" of vacuum, which is below the 17-18" of vacuum needed for the optimum booster operation on power brakes.  The brakes (front discs, rear drums) were finally able to lock up with the electric pump.   There is a loss of "feel" for the brakes as they tend to hit pretty hard and quick with the pump maintaining about 20" of vacuum, but some of that is just getting used to the big difference in brake boost.   I mounted the electric pump inside one of the vendor's optional protective housings in the DS front wheel well to keep it out of sight and moved the water-sensitive relay for the pump to an area under the battery in an attempt to keep it dry. 

Unfortunately, getting caught in one downpour was enough to knock out the pump which put me unexpectedly on manual brakes and triggered a need for an underwear change.   As I've not had a lot of time available lately (relocation, house renovation projects, blah blah blah), I hooked the booster back up to non-ported engine vacuum just to be able to drive the car again.

I have tried plugging vacuum lines and carefully bleeding propane around various points on top of the engine to see if I have a vacuum leak.   None found so far.  I'll be pulling the car off the road here at some point to put in a different transmission (Tremec TKX) and hopefully get the a/c system working, during which I may re-gasket the existing manifold or put a different one on it to try to improve the vacuum level.   If that doesn't fix it, I'll mount the vacuum pump in the trunk and go from there.

Yeah, these things are never "done".

Member @Jay Bee posted a lot of great documentation on his Hydraboost journey, so he's a good source for info there.

Good luck!

Jay Bee

@Dakota  I don't recall posting anything about Hydraboost, nor did I do any actual work with it. Maybe you have me confused with someone else or maybe I posted link(s) about it. If I did I don't recall that either. "Jay" is a more common name than I thought.

Dakota

Sorry about that @Jay Bee.   I foolishly trusted my memory and was too lazy to look it up.  It was actually @Cudajason.   Here's the link:

https://forum.e-bodies.org/wheels-tires-brakes-suspension-and-steering/12/hydro-boost-project/23960/msg282849#msg282849

RayL

Apologies for the late reply. I've got to check my profile settings because I'm not getting notifications!

My car is a 'parts bin' affair: 1973 Rallye 340 Auto --> 1970 R/T Clone 383 4-Speed. No documentation. Hours of fun on my favorite subject - wiring (nope, maybe informative, but not fun). The E-Body forums have been a great resource! My 2024 goal is to tilt my driving/wrenching ratio more to the driving side of the equation.

@7212Mopar - Hydratech is the clear go-to kit supplier so far. The Leed Brakes Bandit Series Electric Vacuum Pumps look good, but I don't want to chance finding out later that my Master or single diaphragm booster are wrong/kaput.

@bdschnei - I will check with Peter Bergman about a dual inlet pump.

@Dakota - we have been down the same road, including the underwear change... My 383 makes plenty of power. No vacuum leaks found. I decided on the Hydro Boost kit since I have no faith the current booster or master are correct for the car. They may even be from a B-Body for all I know.

And for anyone with the skills/time to do a "build your own' Hydro Boost kit, definitely read this post from Cudajason: https://forum.e-bodies.org/wheels-tires-brakes-suspension-and-steering/12/hydro-boost-project/23960/msg282849#msg282849

Thanks for all the replies!

I'll be sure to do a few progress posts once everything is ordered.

RayL

Update 3/11/24:

Ordered the Hydratech hydro-boost kit today. 30 to 90 day lead time :-(

After speaking with Jim @ Hyrdratech I also ordered a Borgeson PS pump for Hydro-Boost Brake Applications (Dual low-pressure inlets).

According to Jim @ Hyrdratech, and confirmed by Borgeson, there are two Saginaw pump options depending on the type of pulley your existing Saginaw pump has:

Use part #800309 - if your Saginaw pulley is nut retained with a key-way style shaft (like mine - see image).
Use part #800323 - if your pulley is the Press-on type.

I got the Borgeson PS from Summit (BRG-800309) since I had a free shipping offer!

Now waiting for parts...

Novice

Quote from: RayL on March 11, 2024, 06:57:23 PMUpdate 3/11/24:

Ordered the Hydratech hydro-boost kit today. 30 to 90 day lead time :-(

After speaking with Jim @ Hyrdratech I also ordered a Borgeson PS pump for Hydro-Boost Brake Applications (Dual low-pressure inlets).

According to Jim @ Hyrdratech, and confirmed by Borgeson, there are two Saginaw pump options depending on the type of pulley your existing Saginaw pump has:

Use part #800309 - if your Saginaw pulley is nut retained with a key-way style shaft (like mine - see image).
Use part #800323 - if your pulley is the Press-on type.

I got the Borgeson PS from Summit (BRG-800309) since I had a free shipping offer!

Now waiting for parts...

What are you going to use to connect the booster threaded rod to the petal?

Novice

I have one and getting ready to install but didn't know if someone had a part number for the eyelet that connects the petal to the booster threaded rod.

RayL

@Novice - The HydraTech kit comes with everything needed to connect the pedal to the Hydro-Boost unit. Jim @ Hyrdratech confirmed the kit connects directly to the pedal, eliminating the current linkage. And that their kit allows pedal height adjustment.

I don't expect to receive my order for several weeks, so cannot say exactly which parts are included for the pedal connection. I assume the parts pictured below are what is required.

If you have the HydraTech kit reach out to Jim @ Hyrdratech for accurate information.

bdschnei

"The HydraTech kit comes with everything needed to connect the pedal to the Hydro-Boost unit. Jim @ Hyrdratech confirmed the kit connects directly to the pedal, eliminating the current linkage. And that their kit allows pedal height adjustment."

Yep that's all correct.

The only thing I'd add to that is to recommend you buy a tool similar to this for adjusting the rod between the master cylinder and the booster. Well worth the few bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C6G7NY6M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Bret