Main Menu

its loose feeling

Started by dougdel, June 30, 2017, 09:26:34 AM

Previous topic Next topic

dougdel

looking into the steering box, either rebuild or replace.  wheel feels loose and sloppy, but does drive in a nice straight line.  I thought I read that you could tighten up the steering box using the set screw and nut on the steering box.  But will that last or should I just pull it out and drop in a firm feel stage 2.  I watched the rebuild thread over on c.c that someone did,  but I don't know if I want to go that route.  Any suggestions?

Burdar

A "rebuilt" box from your local parts store isn't going to be any better feeling.  They just put new seals in them so they don't leak and resell them.  I'd look into a stage 2 box from Firm Feel.   :alan2cents:

Cuda Cody

Love my Firm Feel boxes.   :alan2cents:

chal340

Me too and I have a stage 3. ;)
70 Dodge Challenger 340 A66.

dougdel

whats the differences between a 2 and a 3? other than $20.00 on their website  :haha: this is just an occasional street car. but one of these days id like to see what it can do at Capital Raceway, but with a 2:76 rear probably not much

Burdar

Stage 2 is going to be a big improvement over the stock box.  Stage 3 is going to feel more like a new car steering wise.  If I ever have my Challenger box rebuilt, it will be a stage 2.  My Challenger is a stock restoration but the steering is too loose feeling for my tastes. My Dart on the other hand is going to be a pro touring type build with larger brakes, wheels and torsion bars.  I'm going with a stage 3 on that one.

Mickm

My car is a street driven pro-touring setup and I went with Phase 3 and think it is perfect.

Cheers!
Mickm

Chryco Psycho

The adjustment nut can make a big difference , just make sure you do it with the wheels / steering box centered , it will tighten the mesh between the gears & remove play but this will not change the feel , to od that you need to go to an improved box such as Steer & Gear or Firm Feel offer

dougdel

And maybe shim in the pump to reduce pressure? 

Chryco Psycho

RUNCHARGER

If you tighten the adjusting bolt just remember it is not designed to be tightened all the way. You run the bolt down until it bottoms and then back it out 1/4 turn as I remember. Also if the bolt head is flush with the jam nut it's a good sign the box is worn out in my limited experience.
Sheldon

dougdel

counted up all my loose change  :bigmoney:  and stage 3 ordered,  now its a 2-1/2 week wait for it to arrive

303 Mopar

Quote from: dougdel on July 11, 2017, 11:10:18 AM
counted up all my loose change  :bigmoney:  and stage 3 ordered,  now its a 2-1/2 week wait for it to arrive

Congrats!  You are going to love it!! 

Mickm

Congrats, it will be here before you know it. You'll love the stage 3. You'll think you're driving a new car.
Cheers!
Mickm

Crash520

I have a stage 2 FF box in my street car and love it, I would have gone straight to stage 3 had I known  etter
Greg
Brisbane
Australia