Main Menu

Kit used on 2229171 master cylinders discontinued

Started by JH27N0B, April 02, 2019, 04:35:30 PM

Previous topic Next topic

JH27N0B

Brad Anderson from Brake and Equipment Warehouse called me last week asking some advice on a master cylinder issue.  As some of you may know, Brake and Equipment Warehouse is the go-to resource for sleeving and rebuilding vintage master cylinders and calipers.  Brad told me they have had a ton of work over the years after my master cylinder article was published in Mopar Action in 2005... They should be paying me a commission!  :haha:
He mentioned in passing that Raybestos had discontinued the MK551 master cylinder rebuild kit. Although this isn't the correct kit for the 70 disc brake E bodies, it is for 67-70 disc brake A bodies and was the closest kit available for using on 2229171s as it has the same 1" diameter seals.  You use them to rebuild the 2229171s original pistons, or on a new piston that Brake and Equipment had machined if the originals are gone or damaged. Kits for 2229171s were discontinued decades ago.
He said when they were notified MK551 was being discontinued, they bought every one still in stock, but are already running low, so he doesn't know what they will do to rebuild 2229171s in the near future.
I looked online and found some listed.  Ordered one that arrived today, so I'll have one in case one of my car's MCs needs rebuild someday. 
Just a heads up if you are restoring a 70 E body (or A body) with PDB, and didn't have a kit yet to rebuild yours, or have a car with one, you might want to grab a kit while you can in case yours needs rebuilding someday. :alan2cents:
NAPA United typically carries the same part under slightly different part numbers.  It would be United 551 IIRC if you check at a NAPA store.
Sad that Affinia brake and chassis decided to stop offering this kit. :thumbdown:

Floyd

Thanks!  Just snagged one off eBay.  It pays to have a backup.

RUNCHARGER

Darn: Another thing to make a little tougher to own these cars.
Sheldon

jimynick

Is this kit also correct for later year Challengers, like a 74?  :huh:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

JH27N0B

No, starting in '71 a completely different master cylinder was used that had a larger diameter bore.  1-1/32 if memory serves.  As far as I know, that ones kit is still available.

Chryco Psycho

50 years out it is amazing what is still available !
I spent about 6 weeks trying the track down the wrong round front master for a similar look used in later years  , never came up with that either  :bricks:

Topcat

Cuba is keeping their old cars alive since the 50's.

So we have to think outside the box a little more.

Chryco Psycho

No problem IF people accept incorrect parts used instead of Nos Date code everything .
Nothing on Cubas cars is original , it is all about innovation such as 57 chevs with Perkins diesels which may be an improvement !!

jimynick

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 02, 2019, 09:11:16 PM
No problem IF people accept incorrect parts used instead of Nos Date code everything .
Nothing on Cubas cars is original , it is all about innovation duch as 57 chevs with Perkins diesels which may be an improvement !!
LOL, you're right there Neil! I never knew that GM built '55 Chevys with 4 cylinder diesels and 5 speeds, but I saw a few of them in Havana! The best one was a '57 Cadillac coupe de ville with a straight axle and full floater rear end. Necessity is the mother of invention- an old saying that still rings true!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

screamindriver

Thanks for the heads up on the kit being discontinued... I sourced a few kits and snagged them... :bigthumb: