Main Menu

lower control arm fore and aft movement with non rubber bushings

Started by 72restocuda, September 30, 2023, 07:04:06 AM

Previous topic Next topic

72restocuda

Just about to re-assemble my suspension with greasable lower control arm bushings but reading about lower control arm movement fore and aft particularly with using non rubber bushings.  Has anyone tried using spacers between the T bars and the LCA socket to reduce this. I realize the strut rods "should" limit such travel but before committing to using the Hotchkis LCA bushings just figured I would ask here, thanks
-Steve

Gripper

What brand are you using.
Energy Suspension, Prothane ?

Thanks Gripper

72restocuda

I bought Hotchkis but when looking for other tips and tricks to improve handling I came across articles that stated anything other than rubber bushings can slide the LCAs on the pivot pins back and forth

Mr Cuda

I stick with rubber for that very reason.
You can shim the torsion bar so there is less forward and back movement on the lower arm. 
The forward movement of the arm to pin is controlled by the arm socket and pin shoulder.
So you are really only shimming for rearward arm movement.  The movement will not result in much alignment issues.  The available slop forward and back on the torsion bar is up to 3/8 of a inch.

72restocuda

Thanks, looks like I will measure the length from the torsion bar spring clip to the socket and I already have some sheet neoprene I will use as a shim in a hexagon shape to match the end shape of the torsion bar to remove any potential slop, again thanks so much
-Steve