Main Menu

Upper and lower control arm bushings and rear leaf spring bushings

Started by 72fury, January 05, 2017, 04:25:27 AM

Previous topic Next topic

72fury

Anybody have any tips on how to remove/install the bushings on the upper and lower conrol arms and rear leaf springs? My daily driver 70 challengers bushings finally gave up the ghost over the weekend. I will be doing this at my work so i do have access to a welder, torch, press, and air tools. Need to get them on asap so i can start driving her again. Thanks

Cuda Cody

On the upper control arm, The Ball Joint is threaded in and uses a big ball joint socket.  If the upper arms are original there will be a small collar that needs to be cut off first before you press out the bushings.  Be careful not to cut the control arm.  Then press the bushings in and out.  Clean up the arm as needed (or paint it) and press in the new bushings.

On the lower control arm, it's a little trickier.  Sometimes I've had to weld a cap on them to press them out.  Take your time and I'm sure you'll get it!  Let me know if you get stuck and I'll walk you through it in more detail.   :bigthumb:

A.Gramz

Cuda Cody

It's a 1-7/8".  But it's a special socket made just for the ball joint.  See photos....

Quote from: A.Gramz on January 05, 2017, 06:58:27 PM
What size is the ball joint socket for a ebody?

A.Gramz

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 05, 2017, 08:09:27 PM
It's a 1-7/8".  But it's a special socket made just for the ball joint.  See

Great been meaning to ask as my searches resulted in two different but close sizes.  Now I just have to remember to order one lol.