Main Menu

My rear-end stance...what is it?

Started by kawahonda, July 25, 2018, 05:07:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kawahonda

Thank yoU! The good news after a dry-fit is that the helpers don't have to come off. This is still something I want to eventually replace, so I will keep this thread documented for when it's time to remove the helpers and get new springs!
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

kawahonda

Here's some full frame pictures. What "stance" do you guys think this is currently at. Keep in mind it has stock springs + helpers.

Katfish

Back looks right, I'd lower the front a little.

Burdar

QuoteBack looks right, I'd lower the front a little.

:iagree:  It looks pretty good the way it sits but the front could come down a little.  When you adjust the front ride height, your alignment changes.  This is why the front end height is the FIRST thing to adjust on a Mopar when it gets aligned.  If you don't want to mess with an alignment right now, just drive it the way it is.  If an alignment is on the list of things to do, adjust the front ride height before you have it aligned.

Always adjust the torsion bars with the weight OFF of the wheels.  Jack the wheels off the ground and support the car with jack stands.  Adjust the torsion bars, lower the car and drive it around the block.  Recheck the ride height and readjust if needed.  I'm not sure how many turns of the bolt I would start with.  Maybe 4-6 revolutions?

72bluNblu

Quote from: kawahonda on July 28, 2018, 09:39:11 PM
Here's some full frame pictures. What "stance" do you guys think this is currently at. Keep in mind it has stock springs + helpers.

It's slightly higher than stock. It would sit pretty much perfectly level at a '0', but +1" is still probably a touch higher than that.

YellowThumper

This is stock springs. 275/60/15 on 8.5 wide rims.
Low but is stance I prefer.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

kawahonda

Sounds like my stance is equivalent to .5" over stock if I read you guys right. That was my thought.

Would not want it any lower. Would not want it much higher.

So either get +1 or +.5 and call it a damned day.

Thanks everyone!

72bluNblu

Just get a +1". You can always lower it with a small lowering block if you need to. A 1/2" block is no big deal, although depending on your U-bolts you might need longer ones. Or you could get a new set of front hangers, there are aftermarket hangers with a lower eye position too.

kawahonda

Will do. Plus 1 and no more is the ticket!!!

kawahonda

Hi all, getting close to ordering some leaf springs (+1 or + .75).

What are other things to order with the leaf springs that are typically replaced with the springs, and what are some things that can usually be reused?

Here's an idea:

Shackles - $35-$100/pair
Ubolts - $20-$40/set of 4
Front eye bolts $6-$50/pair
Chrysler/Dodge Axle Pads $65-$80/set of 4

I can take some pics if that helps.

How long did it take everyone to swap out leaf springs? a couple hours?

Burdar

Replace the U-bolts and shackle bushings. You'll only need to replace the shackles, front hangers and front eye bolts if everything is super rusty and you can't get them apart.

kawahonda

Thanks, that's super helpful. I'll send an image of my current setup and would love to get your guys' take on what I should pre-order.

The trick is to order everything you need at first, rather than to get partially there and have to order something you missed. You guys know how it goes.

I'll also post some pics of my car with the updated 15" wheels/tires to get a better idea of what stance I correctly have. I'm very cautious of going too tall, too short. I do not want a raked look, but I want a "healthy" looking, no saggy-butt stance. :)

I "may" put 255s on in the future, which is about .9" taller than 235s. So I'm trying to keep that in mind.

kawahonda

This pic, I had my torsion bars a little bit too low as I was riding on the stopper. Since then I've raised them up some. I think this current stance is near-ideal. Instead of using a lowering block (which is a good option), I'd rather just get the leaf springs nailed from the beggining.

I'm thinking +1" will raise it. I'm thinking .5" or .75" is probably just about right. I don't mind it raised just a hair-touch.

kawahonda

Brads70

It's all kind of subjective as raising /lowering the torsion bars will also affect the rear height/rake.