Main Menu

Removing rear axles on 8 3/4" rear end for disc brake conversion kit?

Started by docmel, July 18, 2020, 09:30:04 AM

Previous topic Next topic

docmel

Time sensitive post since I took the next 2 days off work to install a rear disc conversion kit on my 8-3/4 rear end. 

Unfortunatley I thought this would be a fairly easy task, but I am finding I need to remove the rear axles(?) in order to remove the old drum brake and to install the new axle flange bolts to accept the disc brake conversion?  If thats the case:

Background info:  Green bearings were installed by a previous owner, a requirement for this disc brake conversion kit.  The kit is The Right Stuff, instructions are vauge on the step I am currently stumped at

1.  How do I remove the axles  (If even needed)?  Does it require removing the dif?

2. OR am I missing something and the axles do not need to be removed to remove the drum brake setup to install the disc brake conversion?

Any help is appreciated as I am wasting my vacation days trying to figure this out    I am mech inclined, have the tools, but rear axle/dif work I really dont have a clue

mopar jack

anlauto

Five nuts on each axle and they just pull out....you might loose some oil too if not careful :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Rich G.

You might need a slide hammer bolted to the wheel studs if they are stuck in the housing.

docmel

Great timing   I am assuming the five bolts are removed, the axle just pulls out, no clips, etc.........................

anlauto

Is this the kit you have ?

You might be required to press the bearings off of the axles to remove the factory retainer plates and adjuster. Also Is there any mention of the "green" bearing requiring a snap ring ? I know the Wilwood set needs the snap ring to retain the bearing plate.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

HITTER23

I just did this in the spring with the same set up.  If you have the green bearings, youre good to go.  You need to pull the axles to get the backing plates off. like whats been said, unbolts the axles and pull out. Put your  caliper plates on, slide the axles back in making sure you use a new gasket and get them seated in.

docmel

SUPER site with super members!  Thx for all the support.  Axles piulled right oujt, no issues, I'm rolling with the project!