Main Menu

Rear Leaf Spring Question

Started by 70_440-6Cuda, August 16, 2022, 09:24:46 AM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

Quote from: 70_440-6Cuda on August 16, 2022, 09:24:46 AM
I searched on here and Google and again did not find the answers I am looking for, although I am sure this has been asked and answered somewhere -

Looking to replace my rear leaf springs and wondering if there is something out there that is an exact replica, or what are you all doing for your restorations?  I am trying to stick to as true and correct original as I can if there is something available.

This reminds me of  the following quote: "The best model of a cat is a cat"-Norbert Wiener. Sorry, I am a computer guy and deal with models.  An exact replica would be the actual thing. You would be looking for new old stock parts. Do you want original equipment? Do you want something that meets the original specs? New manufactured product usually isn't the "exact" same as the original parts. And what do you mean "exact"? Some people go crazy with this and add chalk marks and overspay and stuff like that. Personally, if it isn't original on your car, it isn't original, even if it is NOS or of another car. I chopped off my arm and they reattached a new arm from someone born the same year in the same hospital, it still wouldn't be MY arm. LOL. OK, that analogy doesn't make sense. I appreciate a car that is 99% original. That is an amazing thing. I am less thrilled with cars appearing to be 100% original. And I worry that as we get older, a lot of these restored cars will be passed on to others as 100% original when they really arn't. Sorry, off topic.

As others mentioned, I would see about getting them heat treated. I didn't know that was a thing until I got on this forum.

HP2

I don't fault anyone for wanted to make their car as "original" as possible. Even if that original involves reproduction parts. If you are well heeled enough to actually buy NOS parts, well, then more power to you.

In any case, yes there are reproduction "original" spec spring packs out there. If that's what you want, great, buy them. Espo and Eaton can both make these to original spec. Just be aware that using reproduction parts of original specification will return a car to its original performance level, which may be short of what many of our recollections and memories of what these cars were.

Skdmark

I replaced the springs on my Barracuda recently with a set from Eaton. I had Eaton give them a +1 inch of arch over the factory spec. It gives the slightly raked stance I wanted and when you put either a few things in the trunk or have backseat passengers the car sits level with a load. Too many e-bodies suffer from butt drag.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

70_440-6Cuda

Quote from: tparker on October 06, 2022, 03:50:25 PM
Quote from: 70_440-6Cuda on August 16, 2022, 09:24:46 AM
I searched on here and Google and again did not find the answers I am looking for, although I am sure this has been asked and answered somewhere -

Looking to replace my rear leaf springs and wondering if there is something out there that is an exact replica, or what are you all doing for your restorations?  I am trying to stick to as true and correct original as I can if there is something available.

This reminds me of  the following quote: "The best model of a cat is a cat"-Norbert Wiener. Sorry, I am a computer guy and deal with models.  An exact replica would be the actual thing. You would be looking for new old stock parts. Do you want original equipment? Do you want something that meets the original specs? New manufactured product usually isn't the "exact" same as the original parts. And what do you mean "exact"? Some people go crazy with this and add chalk marks and overspay and stuff like that. Personally, if it isn't original on your car, it isn't original, even if it is NOS or of another car. I chopped off my arm and they reattached a new arm from someone born the same year in the same hospital, it still wouldn't be MY arm. LOL. OK, that analogy doesn't make sense. I appreciate a car that is 99% original. That is an amazing thing. I am less thrilled with cars appearing to be 100% original. And I worry that as we get older, a lot of these restored cars will be passed on to others as 100% original when they really arn't. Sorry, off topic.

As others mentioned, I would see about getting them heat treated. I didn't know that was a thing until I got on this forum.

I have often thought about the element of time and cars being passed off for something they are not.  I am documenting everything for my car as I go, and my son wants to create a YouTube channel for the restoration so we will be very clear about what the car was and is.  I am starting to worry less about original Moparts because of the costs and the time it takes to hunt down what you need.  In the end, I would like the car to be as close as possible to how it came off the assembly line, and I have found that the best fitting, best quality parts are restored originals.  Restoring it to what it should be is part of the fun even if the parts are not native to the car. There are lots of opinions about the "right" way to restore these cars - for my son and I the fun of the hobby has been looking for those elusive original parts and creating a plan to work on the car and  make it what we want - a tribute to what Plymouth originally built, as best as we can.  It is all just for fun so I try not to get hung up on what other people will think of the car, and find this forum is the best place for insight and knowledge on what parts work, what don't and what to look out for so as not to overpay for something incorrect.  I don't mind aftermarket, IF the parts are correct AND good quality which seems to be sort of hit and miss.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

70_440-6Cuda

Quote from: Skdmark on October 09, 2022, 03:45:08 PM
I replaced the springs on my Barracuda recently with a set from Eaton. I had Eaton give them a +1 inch of arch over the factory spec. It gives the slightly raked stance I wanted and when you put either a few things in the trunk or have backseat passengers the car sits level with a load. Too many e-bodies suffer from butt drag.

@Skdmark I am thinking of ordering the Eaton springs with +1" as well, do you have a side shot of yours to see the stance?  Still happy with the 1" over height?  Did they settle at all?

Thanks
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

Skdmark

@70_440-6Cuda

I'm still happy with the height. They've been on since 2021 and the height is still the same.
Eventually I'm going to lower the front about 3/8" after a torsion bar swap. Right now the front is about 5/8-3/4 lower.

See post 63 for side images.
https://forum.e-bodies.org/your-restoration-project-roseville-moparts/10/71-barracuda-ev2-h5xv/17032/63
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

70_440-6Cuda

Quote from: Skdmark on January 25, 2023, 06:55:20 PM
@70_440-6Cuda

I'm still happy with the height. They've been on since 2021 and the height is still the same.
Eventually I'm going to lower the front about 3/8" after a torsion bar swap. Right now the front is about 5/8-3/4 lower.

See post 63 for side images.
https://forum.e-bodies.org/your-restoration-project-roseville-moparts/10/71-barracuda-ev2-h5xv/17032/63

@Skdmark looks awesome... I actually dig the side pipes, reminds of all the Revell models I built as a kid!  I will go back and read the whole thread - super cool car.... what size wheels and tires on there?

Skdmark

Side pipes and wheels were on the car when I bought it. Last year I removed the pipes.
Long tube headers + no mufflers are not the best for cruising.

The wheels are American Racing Torq Thrust M.
Front tires are 215/50ZR17 and rear are 245/45ZR17
-Harlan Ellison

70_440-6Cuda

I have decided on a set of rear springs from Eaton Detroit with Tony's half leaf reproductions.  Just trying to decide on stock or 1" over ride height.  My initial thought is stock with an adjustable front perch so I can always switch back to stock if I want to.

Couple of questions - has anyone installed the Eaton springs with the stock specs and had any sagging issues over time?  I have read some other threads stating the stock height springs sag rather quickly, but not sure if that is related to the brands or the actual specs of the springs? 

@Skdmark says his +1" springs have not sagged at all, but is that because Eaton makes a great product or the +1" springs are heavier duty?