Main Menu

Rallye Wheel Center Cap Installation

Started by Gary AAR, August 14, 2022, 05:30:34 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Gary AAR

Getting ready to install new reproduction rallye wheel center caps on my 70 Cuda.  Some of the 1/4-20 threads in my original center caps were stripped out.  To help avoid stripped threads on the new center caps, which of the following installation procedure should be used:
A.  Use a tap to cut threads in the new center caps for the full length of the 5/8 inch long bolt.
B.  Use a tap to cut threads in the new center caps for approximately half the length of the bolt, and then let the self tapping bolt cut the threads for the remaining half of the bolt.
C.  Let the self tapping bolt cut the threads for the full length of the bolt.

I was leaning towards procedure "B", thinking that it would minimize the risk of stripping the threads in the soft center cap material while still getting a joint that won't loosen up.  Looking for opinions and advice of the experts!!

anlauto

I use a tap, just pay close attention to the depth...I destroyed a brand new cap by tapping a tad too far putting noticeable nubs on the outside surface :pullinghair: ....I think your plan "B" is the best as well  :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Gary AAR

71vert340