Main Menu

Rear brake drum on right side getting hot

Started by Mr Lee, July 07, 2020, 10:29:24 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mr Lee

Yeah I don't have an extra brake hose and I don't want to crush it.

I took an IR thermometer and took temp readings after a 10 minute ride.  It is the brake drum that's getting the hottest, not the backing plate etc.

Right rear drum - 260 degrees
left rear - 125
both front rotors - about 125 also. 

I backed the pushrod in to the brake booster a bit and the pedal seems to be returning up better now but the right rear is still getting hot.   I'm going to take it to a shop because I give up. 

Doubtful on driving the car to Carlisle.  Still need to figure this out, get an alignment  etc ....   
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

RUNCHARGER

Make sure the nut and bolt under the dash connecting brake pedal to linkage isn't too tight. That happened to me once.
Sheldon

anlauto

You're not going the wreck the hose, but okay....how about another simple test....swap the brake drums from side to side, drive and check temp again. Could be a bad brake drum :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mr Lee

So I had my brake drum cut.  Although the drum was brand new, the guy said it took three passes to get it round.  (I had a similar situation when I did the brakes on my van).  Anyway, I just took it for the longest test drive yet and the brakes stayed cool!!!  Woohoo. 

Thanks for all the suggestions and help as always.   :grouphug:

Pics?  You want pics?    I should've taken a photo of my drum that turned brown from the heat, but I didn't sorry. And it's back on the car now.  Here's my brakes instead.   oooh ahhh.
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

anlauto

:worship: oh..so my second guess was right....Glad you were able to sort it out... :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration