Main Menu

Rear spring frame brackets

Started by fireguyfire, April 25, 2019, 06:30:40 PM

Previous topic Next topic

fireguyfire

I posted in a different thread how the rear springs on my 73 challenger were not originals, or Mopars and that for some reason years ago someone had air chiseled out the front spring attachment brackets and had turned the front spring bracket upwards and mounted it through the rear floor of the car (with a steel reinforcement plate).
I am in the process of putting the car back to factory correct, and I have correct springs from Mopar performance.
The car came with the correct heavy gauge replacement brackets that go onto the frame rails, and I am just about to get to putting them back in.
I am lucky as there is no rot it the car, and even though you can see where the old spot welds were for the factory brackets that were chiseled out, the metal is rock solid on the frame rail, and the inner rocker.

So my questions are about how to go about making the repair. I am going to cut out the old spot weld locations and weld in new steel there, then install the new 2 part brackets.

Are the 2 parts of the brackets on each side welded together, and if so how were they so I can reproduce that weld/welds?
If anyone has previously done this repair and could offer some tips and tricks it would be greatly appreciated!
I would also love some good photos so I can locate the brackets correctly (a measurement or 2 would be awesome too so I can get them in exactly the right position).
I'm wondering if it's better to instal one half of the bracket at a time and then weld them together after, or weld them up first on the bench and then install them?
And finally it would be great to see a photo of how the factory brackets were botched out to allow for the 2 steel lines running down the inside of the passenger rocker so I can replicate that as well.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys and gals can offer on this repair!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich G.

Here's some pics of the right side.

fireguyfire

Great pictures Rich G. Thanks!
Can anyone add a photo or 2 of how the brackets are notched around those steel lines?
It appears the 2 brackets are held together with 1 spot weld at the bottom.

fireguyfire

Just about ready to tackle this project and weld in the new rear spring brackets; first I have to repair the floor above each where they drilled a bunch of big holes to take the front brackets up through the floor.
I'm assuming the flanges on the top of the rear spring brackets are spot welded to the bottom of the floor pan as well?

I'd still love a photo or 2 showing how the factory brackets were "notched" to deal with the rear brake line on the drivers side, and the fuel and vapour lines on the passenger side; they go right through the middle of where the brackets need to go back in.

Rich G.

I don't believe they are notched. Lines are bent around them. And there's a small guard bolted on to protect it.

Chryco Psycho

:iagree:

Chryco Psycho

1 more with shield
You might as well add the torque boxes like the pictures

fireguyfire

I'm assuming there is a shield for the front to back brake line on the other side also?
Are those line shields available for purchase anywhere?

Chryco Psycho

Yes there is a sheild on both sides , start by checking with roseville , if he doesn't have them he will know where to get them or you could make them , not difficult  :bigthumb: