Main Menu

Small block car - Power steering box removal?

Started by FSHTAIL, May 03, 2018, 11:20:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

FSHTAIL

Can the power steering box be removed without much hassle on a Cuda 340?

Thanks
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

Rich G.

Yes, not a big deal. Hardest part is the disconnecting steering shaft sometimes .

Chryco Psycho

you may need to remove the exhaust manifold assuming you do not have headers

FSHTAIL

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 04, 2018, 05:46:30 AM
you may need to remove the exhaust manifold assuming you do not have headers

I have Hookers... 
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

72 Challenger

I had a set of el-cheapo headers on my last Challenger and I removed the power steering box by removing the battery tray and power steering pump, perhaps some other odds and ends and bringing the box up through the engine bay. 

I wanted to avoid removing the headers to avoid draining the coolant.

Someday I will have a J0b.

BIGSHCLUNK

I had my steering box in and out w a HEMI.... small block "should be" easy

1 Wild R/T

I do them from underneath... Generally they will roll down off the K member pretty easy.... Some headers make it a little more challenging, I've removed the torsion bar for more room on occasion.... 

Cudajason

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on May 11, 2018, 08:44:17 AM
I do them from underneath... Generally they will roll down off the K member pretty easy.... Some headers make it a little more challenging, I've removed the torsion bar for more room on occasion....

I am pretty sure that is how I took mine out too. 
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

PLUM72

Quote from: 72 Challenger on May 11, 2018, 04:45:41 AM
I had a set of el-cheapo headers on my last Challenger and I removed the power steering box by removing the battery tray and power steering pump, perhaps some other odds and ends and bringing the box up through the engine bay. 

I wanted to avoid removing the headers to avoid draining the coolant.
I'm interested in your experiences here with the box R & R  While I'd like to swap my steering box out with a Firm Feel rebuild, I've been dreading it because with the headers it looks like the motor has to rock to the side or be lifted slightly.
-Dave
'72 Challenger
'13 Challenger