Main Menu

Space saver as useable spare

Started by WCC, May 17, 2019, 01:53:22 PM

Previous topic Next topic

WCC

Been thinking of getting a 'clone' space saver to keep in my trunk and just use that if I have a puncture or worse and need to change the tire (don't always have roadside assistance in my neck of the woods so would not want to be left stranded for hours).

Has anybody used them as a spare and filled them with air (not the canister stuff)? Is this a feasible option? I do not want to carry a space saver for show and another spare in the trunk.

6bblgt

if you think you need a spare to use, get a full size spare

if you need a spare for a judged car show get a space-saver (or both & use as needed)

I wouldn't count on "someone's" "clone" space saver to be functional  :notsure: would you inflate it with a cigarette lighter compressor ??

Floyd

Agree with 6bblgt.  No way I would drive on a 45-50 year-old space saver. 

Plumcrazzy

Maybe you could start an AA chapter in your area. I feel sure that there are some folks who might need help with a drinking problem.  :drinkingbud: :drinkingbud: :drinkingbud: :haha: :haha:

Topcat

Juliano's NOS Space Saver spare was selling for $5,000 I heard.    :bigmoney:   :rubeyes:

WCC

Quote from: 6bblgt on May 17, 2019, 02:16:39 PM
if you think you need a spare to use, get a full size spare

if you need a spare for a judged car show get a space-saver (or both & use as needed)

I wouldn't count on "someone's" "clone" space saver to be functional  :notsure: would you inflate it with a cigarette lighter compressor ??

Thanks, I didn't know the clones may not be functional and obviously would not want to use the original.

Will just get a big ass spare.

WCC

Quote from: Plumcrazzy on May 17, 2019, 05:12:42 PM
Maybe you could start an AA chapter in your area. I feel sure that there are some folks who might need help with a drinking problem.  :drinkingbud: :drinkingbud: :drinkingbud: :haha: :haha:

Yeah, but out here people drink for effect.  :haha:

Brads70

I'm using a modern space saver Ford  rim/tire in mine. In case you don't want to lug around a full size spare.
https://forum.e-bodies.org/wheels-tires-brakes-suspension-and-steering/12/spare-wheel-in-case-of-flat-tire/8730/