Main Menu

Space Saver help ID and $

Started by Cuda Cody, October 03, 2019, 06:31:42 PM

Previous topic Next topic

headejm

Here is a couple of photos of my space saver. I believe it is correct for 1970, SPD 508. I sold a nice space saver to a member on here for $550 plus shipping. It was not as nice as my original one shown in these photos. Around $500 - $600 seems fair to me for a nice but not perfect space saver.  :alan2cents:

Floyd

Quote from: Cuda Cody on October 03, 2019, 06:38:46 PM
#2 is...

Rim is good, damaged tire. "F  11  K2 9" which should be 1970.  Thanks 6th hole.  10  14  5.5  Tire was a / is a BF Goodrich F78-14

What kind of tire damage is there?  I notice a couple of your spares are missing the valve stem.  I think the valve stem allows you to get some vacuum and hold the tire in the collapsed position when deflated.  I've used a ratchet strap to compress the tire with the valve stem open. Once squeezed tight and totally deflated, re-assemble the valve stem and it should hold.

Pic demonstrates the concept (even though it's just loose tire).

CudaMoparRay

Long story short: The prior owner of my '72 'Cuda is a Ford guy so maybe this is a Ford Space Saver turned Mopar  :notsure:
Looked ok as it was but I decided to add the white letters, stickers and lengthened the tire holder screw bolt a bit to accommodate the tire inflation canister.
Waiting for my new blue bracket among some other parts to arrive that I ordered in a great deal from Roseville Moparts @MoparDave then it will be "finished" with all its glory  :haha:
Pictures of how it was and how it is now.

Most pictures I see are for '70 to '71 which are Goodyear tires and metal color tire inflation can but I believe that the '72 to '74 had B F Goodrich tires and the red tire inflation can. The label on my red can is not correct but the only repop available, close enough for now. It should have the picture of a person inflating the tire if it is to be correct.

Disclaimer: I know nothing except what I have read lately about space savers so all prior comments are my opinion only please feel free to correct and add more knowledge thank you.

CudaMoparRay

Last ones showing how I will set it up and also a sad attempt at a tire inflation can bracket I made before giving it up and ordering the correct one from Roseville   

6bblgt

I don't think the space saver was an E-body OPTION 1972-'74
it was a BFG tire for 1970-'71
that washer/spacer doesn't belong there
..... if the jack base fits in the hub hole of the wheel (Fords are smaller diameter then Mopar) you don't need it

CudaMoparRay

Quote from: 6bblgt on October 12, 2019, 03:50:09 PM
I don't think the space saver was an E-body OPTION 1972-'74
it was a BFG tire for 1970-'71
that washer/spacer doesn't belong there
..... if the jack base fits in the hub hole of the wheel (Fords are smaller diameter then Mopar) you don't need it

Great info thank you!
You have cleared up many questions.

I have the BF Goodrich which you are correct would have been '70-'71 and not '72-'74 that might have had a Goodyear tire more likely.

According to the book pictured, space saver would have still been available just not a factory option as you stated for E-bodies, just nothing regarding a Red canister vs Silver one??

e-bay says it is and has the Chrysler symbol and guy pictured BUT BUT oh well it is e-bay??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Plymouth-ORIG-G78-x-14-x-15-SPACE-SAVER-TIRE-INFLATOR-BOTTLE-1972-Later/283463105381?epid=10025789902&hash=item41ffb7bb65:g:U1YAAOSw4AJcYct0

And yes it must be a Ford rim as you stated the jack base does not fit in the smaller hole making it necessary to use that washer/spacer
Despite the historical inaccuracy, I still like the way it looks in the trunk and unless someone is an E-bodies.org guy they probably will think it cool  8) and appropriate.  :rofl:

Now wondering if the jack base should be the same Blue as the canister bracket or stay dove gray. Did the jack color change in '72 or '73 to blue??

Sorry for all the questions  :notsure: but heck that is what keeps us in business here for sure.  :help: