Main Menu

Steering Gear Power Steering Valve - How does it go in?

Started by Marty73, March 03, 2021, 05:18:48 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Marty73

Put new power steering pump on my 73 challenger, the gear box has been sitting capped for the last 13 years.
Hi Everyone

Well, after putting it all together and filling with fluid, from the top cap of the steering box, fluid shot everywhere. Upon removing the cap I found one of the gasket rings misaligned and the valve completely "down" in the hole.

I pulled out the valve & spring, then put it back in and now it sits about 1/2 inch above the base and fits into the cap. This seems correct to me - like the valve was stuck due to it sitting empty for so long, but want someone to give me a sanity check on how the valve and spring should fit in. I'm not having much luck finding a diagram online.

One last thing, steering, while it is better, is still very stiff, even after I wheel locked the steering a few times. I have plenty of pump pressure so am thinking my gear box might be bad or just needs to sit in the steering fluid for a while and loosen up?

So I'm guess I'm asking can anyone provide guidance on how that valve is supposed to sit under the hose cap? Does anyone have a blow out diagram?

FYI- that's not my picture below, just one I found on the Internet to show where I'm asking about

1973 Challenger
2022 Wrangler Sahara
2021 Charger Scat Pack

headejm

Jay Bee

Picture is canned this from my Parts Book

Better yet, download the Service Manual from our Resource section (it'll take a while). Forward to page 714 / 1309 (top task bar) and keep scrolling down from there. Everything you want to see should be there.

https://www.e-bodies.org/Resources/Service_Manuals/1970_Plymouth_Service_Manual.pdf