Main Menu

Steering issue, car goes in the right side when driving

Started by Sly, March 13, 2017, 04:08:26 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Sly

Hello, I am needing some help here, I have some troubles with the steering in my Challenger. I just swapped the stock power steering box for a Firm Feel stage 3, with its own pitman arm. I also have the following new parts in the front end of my car :
Koni adjustable shocks
new PST upper control arms
new front stock sway bar bushings
new tie rods
new idler arm
rebuilt steering coupler

Only « not new » parts are the strut rods bushings and I believe the torsion bar bushings.
I had the camber/caster set by a shop here a few months ago, but I did this with the old PS box. The caster has been set to maximum possible at this time.

So the looseness in my steering has vanished, this is very pleasant, the new PS box is doing well, BUT I have to hold the steering wheel pretty firm when driving else the car goes on the right side quite badly. We tried to fix it by moving the tie rods to adjust with the new PS box, but it doesn't improve.
I think that problem has always been there, but with the looseness in the former PS box I couldn't really figure it out.
I also noticed that when I am braking, the car suddenly goes straight.

Now I am wondering : is it possible that the strut rods do not do their job because of « worn » bushings ? And caster may be totally out ? That is what my step father thinks (we work together on my car) and it matches the fact that the car goes straight when braking only.
So our plan is to do the following :
order new MOOG bushings from Summit and install them
go back to the shop to adjust camber/caster again

What do you think ? Do you think I have to rebuild my current strut rods or order ajustable ones (Hotchkis, ...) ? I read here that they are a great improve over the stock ones.

Thanks for helping :)

Bullitt-

Maybe this valve needs adjustment

Steering valve adjustment ...the ones the arrows point to....Wrong...Just loosen the valve body screws & tap on the screws at the bottom (if it pulls left)or the plug at the top (if it pulls right)

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

303 Mopar

Quote from: Bullitt- on March 13, 2017, 05:04:57 AM
Maybe this valve needs adjustment
Steering valve adjustment ...the ones the arrows point to....Wrong...Just loosen the valve body screws & tap on the screws at the bottom (if it pulls left)or the plug at the top (if it pulls right)

The box from FF is already set and should not have to be adjusted.  One way to check is jack up your front end, start the car and see if your wheels turn right (or left).  If they do then this valve needs adjusting.

With all the parts replace and adjustments you have made, I would say you need an alignment.

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  Yes, for sure.  If you have not had the alignment professionally redone since replacing all those parts that would be the first thing to do.   :alan2cents:

fc7cuda

Quote from: Sly on March 13, 2017, 04:08:26 AM
Hello, I am needing some help here, I have some troubles with the steering in my Challenger. I just swapped the stock power steering box for a Firm Feel stage 3, with its own pitman arm. I also have the following new parts in the front end of my car :
Koni adjustable shocks
new PST upper control arms
new front stock sway bar bushings
new tie rods
new idler arm
rebuilt steering coupler

Only « not new » parts are the strut rods bushings and I believe the torsion bar bushings.
I had the camber/caster set by a shop here a few months ago, but I did this with the old PS box. The camber has been set to maximum possible at this time.

So the looseness in my steering has vanished, this is very pleasant, the new PS box is doing well, BUT I have to hold the steering wheel pretty firm when driving else the car goes on the right side quite badly. We tried to fix it by moving the tie rods to adjust with the new PS box, but it doesn't improve.
I think that problem has always been there, but with the looseness in the former PS box I couldn't really figure it out.
I also noticed that when I am braking, the car suddenly goes straight.

Now I am wondering : is it possible that the strut rods do not do their job because of « worn » bushings ? And caster may be totally out ? That is what my step father thinks (we work together on my car) and it matches the fact that the car goes straight when braking only.
So our plan is to do the following :
order new MOOG bushings from Summit and install them
go back to the shop to adjust camber/caster again

What do you think ? Do you think I have to rebuild my current strut rods or order ajustable ones (Hotchkis, ...) ? I read here that they are a great improve over the stock ones.

Thanks for helping :)

Quite a job you tackled there with all the changes,  :congrats:

It should be really enjoyable once everything is right.  I agree with what's already stated, get an alignment.  Typically it always needs to be done after major front end parts replacement. :alan2cents:

Enjoy the ride home afterwards.  :banana:

Sly

Thank you guys, we will check the steering valve to be sure.

Before I drive the car to the adjustment shop, I really want to change the strut rod bushings, are the MOOG any good ? They have good reviews @ Summit Racing.

Anyway I can't see the difference between those two bushing kits :
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mog-k7026
https://www.summitracing.com//parts/mog-k7016a

What do you advise me to buy ?  :please:

Cuda Cody

Moog is really a good brand.  Lately I think they have slipped a little on their quality, but still really good stuff.  I'm trying AC Delco now, but don't have enough time on the stuff to know how great they are.  Both are about the same money. 

You might want to look at @RockAuto  http://www.rockauto.com/?a=ebodies to see if you can get the Moog parts at a better price.  And you get a 5% discount for being a member here.  In the "How did you hear about us" section of the check out put 'EBODIES". 

Quote from: Sly on March 13, 2017, 08:13:37 AM
Thank you guys, we will check the steering valve to be sure.

Before I drive the car to the adjustment shop, I really want to change the strut rod bushings, are the MOOG any good ? They have good reviews @ Summit Racing.

Anyway I can't see the difference between those two bushing kits :
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mog-k7026
https://www.summitracing.com//parts/mog-k7016a

What do you advise me to buy ?  :please:

Sly

Thank you Cody :banana: what are the difference between those two MOOG sets ? One is $40++ and the other is less than $20.
I will check Rockauto.

Cuda Cody

One of the sets has the washers and crush sleeves built in.

Quote from: Sly on March 13, 2017, 08:53:44 AM
Thank you Cody :banana: what are the difference between those two MOOG sets ? One is $40++ and the other is less than $20.
I will check Rockauto.

Cuda Cody

@Sly   Rock Auto is cheaper on the same parts AND you get 5% off those cheaper prices!

http://www.rockauto.com/?a=ebodies

Sly

Well guys, steering mess is not because of the steering valve : we lifted the front end with straight front wheels and nothing happens.
We also checked both upper control arms, the one on the passenger side (right) looks like we can add quite more caster. So next stop is the shop for alignment...  :madashell:
I will keep you posted, thanks.

fc7cuda

I'm hoping you know a good alignment shop?  Perhaps with an older mechanic that knows these old front ends.   :dunno:

Sly

This time I will go with my step father who really knows how to adjust it on our old cars  :Stirring:

Cudajason

I think you are on the right track here.

At the alignment shop do not let them use the stock specs (unless you are using old poly glass tires).

If you ask them to put the specs for a 2007 mustang in to the alignment machine and get as close as possible to those specs you should be very happy!

If you need the actual specs let us know and I or someone can post them!

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

JS29

My car is doing the same thing,  :idea: swapped tires side to side and it's now pulling to the left. BAD tire!!!!!