Main Menu

Steering shaft coupler issue Help pls.

Started by YellowThumper, September 30, 2023, 06:26:59 PM

Previous topic Next topic

YellowThumper

Have car lifted for exhaust replacement and noticed the shaft copper cap has come off. Bunch of Grease appears to have dripped out.
Looking at rebuild kits for it I see there is a red gasket version. What is that and is it preferred over black version.

Thanks.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

MoparLeo

No difference other than color change years ago.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

dodj

Quote from: YellowThumper on September 30, 2023, 06:26:59 PM
Have car lifted for exhaust replacement and noticed the shaft copper cap has come off. Bunch of Grease appears to have dripped out.
Looking at rebuild kits for it I see there is a red gasket version. What is that and is it preferred over black version.

Thanks.
No difference that I'm aware of. The rebuild kit I bought about 15 years ago had the red gasket.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

YellowThumper

Quote from: dodj on October 01, 2023, 05:08:45 AM
Quote from: YellowThumper on September 30, 2023, 06:26:59 PM

Thanks.
No difference that I'm aware of. The rebuild kit I bought about 15 years ago had the red gasket.
Quote from: MoparLeo on September 30, 2023, 09:23:57 PM
No difference other than color change years ago.

Thank you...

Mike.

bc3j

When you rebuild the coupler you might consider using the spring retainer. A TSB from the day required one anytime there was service done to the coupler. Detroit Muscle has them.

Dakota

When you open the coupler for the rebuild, pay close attention to the orientation of the the 2 rectangular "shoes" that are on the pins inside the coupler.   The coupler can be reassembled with the shoes in the wrong orientation which will lead to lots of slop in the steering linkage.  Ask me how I know.  :headbang:

The diagram shows the right way.   The photo shows the wrong way as they are 90 degrees off. 

YellowThumper

Quote from: Dakota on October 13, 2023, 08:28:43 AM
When you open the coupler for the rebuild, pay close attention to the orientation of the the 2 rectangular "shoes" that are on the pins inside the coupler.   The coupler can be reassembled with the shoes in the wrong orientation which will lead to lots of slop in the steering linkage.  Ask me how I know.  :headbang:

The diagram shows the right way.   The photo shows the wrong way as they are 90 degrees off.

Thank you for the info. Will be ordering parts soon.
Saving pic for reference.

Mike.

RUNCHARGER

If there is no play apparent all you need to do is make sure there is enough grease in there and secure the cap. Those kits are cheap though and good to have one on hand, you never know the availability of these common parts in the future.
Sheldon