Main Menu

stock front height

Started by culp71, May 22, 2018, 08:35:27 AM

Previous topic Next topic

culp71

what is the approximate ride height for the front on a 71 cuda w 340?
right now the head of the torsion rod adjustment bolt is about even with bottom of LCA sides.

I am dialing in front alignment but want to verify before I tighten all.

mopar jack

i recommend you use the factory procedure to set ride height. 

culp71

alright cant make out that font clearly...but does it say in short:

Blade must be higher from ground then ball joint, e body 1 inch plus/minus ½ inch? 1/8 inch? cant make this part out...
and well over an inch clearance over lower arm bump stop.
not very clear or specific that's for sure...

maybe a better question is with all stock, what should be the space from hub center to fender lip?

I understand that it can be lowered and realigned to suit the look most want. but again looking for stock spec.
I did find this of an unrestored cuda, since tire size and wheel are the same I will use it and set my car similar.
and it does appear front is a touch higher then rear.

HP2

The OEM setting on an E body  is with the blade measurement 1.125" +/- .125" higher than the ball joint measurement. There is no factory measurement of fender lip height due to variety of tires sizes that can influence this measurement, hence the control arm measurements which are consistent within each body line regardless of tires.

Doing it this way may result in a nose up appearance, again, depending on what your tires sizes are.

Other factory specs, fwiw:

Camber
     left  0 to +1 degree
   right   -1/4 to + 3/4 degree

Caster
    power  -1/2 to +1 3/4
   manual  -1 3/4 to +1/2

I would only suggest using stock specifications if you are using original sized bias ply tires. if you have radials, you can utilize more aggressive numbers to improve the performance of the car.

RUNCHARGER

To me that orange Cuda sits right and looks stock. I used to do the blade measurement but haven't for years. I measure the front and rear of the rockers now as well as the tops of the wheel openings. Sure it wasn't what the factory did but these bodies aren't always square and I find the blade settings may result in one side of the body being higher than the other.
Sheldon

culp71

I got my alignment and suspension all setup and mimicked the orange one and it seems right, looks great should handle well. soon find out. :banana:

culp71

So I got it all set, and it rides perfectly, great handing and looks awesome.
with all correct stock parts and properly rebuilt, (with correct 340 and E60-15 polyglas tires)
the ground to fender lip is 26 inches in the back and 26 1/8 in the front, just in case
any one else is trying to get there's to have that stock look.

just turned over the first 300 miles!

RUNCHARGER

Yes: I personally think they drive quite well stock for how old the design is. Feels great to drive them after working on them for so long doesn't it?
Sheldon