Main Menu

Front suspension height at fender lip ?

Started by Racer57, May 20, 2021, 07:49:31 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Racer57

70 Cuda  245/70/15 front tires - 255/70/15 rear tires

What is the proper height at the front fender lip ? With the tires listed, how low can it go within reason ? Currently measures 25"

dodj

Mine is around 24 1/4". But I also had to replace the lca rebound bumper. It's not meant to be that low.
The 'correct' way to measure ride height is from the lca pivot. But no one uses that.  :alan2cents:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

MoparLeo

As said, the correct and the way the factory measures ride height is in your service manual and is not measured from the body. Here is both a generic page on ride height measuring and a copy of the Factory Service Manual page describing the correct procedure on a Mopar.
https://www.aa1car.com/library/ride2h.htm
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

HP2

The factory recommended using the suspension points to determine ride height because tire aspect ratios can impact fender lip height. The factory specs also tend to leave an E body appearing to be a bit nose high. I'd recommend setting it where you like the stance, and then aligning to desired specifications. I'd also recommend not using the factory alignment specs unless you have bias ply tires or manual steering. If you have power steering or wide radials, I'd recommend you try to achieve early '00s Mustang specs.

MoparLeo

The Factory uses suspension specs because the chassis is assembled in a jig and doesn't vary. The fenders are hung on the chassis and are not a precision install. fender location can be moved and not necessarily be on the same plane.
You can set ride height without even having fenders on the car. Think about that.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

antonellomopar

are you sure about 245 70 15 tires? Aren't they 245 60 15?
I have 62 cm, or 24.5 inches on  my 71 Cuda

HP2

Good point. 245/70R15 tires are 28" tall. That a really tall and wide tire for the front.  I've put 28: tall tires on the front of my Challenger before, but they were only 6" wide with a  4" tread face.