Main Menu

master cyclinder

Started by pink aar, October 23, 2017, 09:22:47 AM

Previous topic Next topic

pink aar

Has any one bought one of these rebuild kits. I know in the past everyone was telling me to send it to  Brake and Equipment.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-new-disc-brake-master-cylinder-kit-for-1970-E-body-Challenger-Cuda-/202086125528?hash=item2f0d458fd8:g:qdAAAOSwQgpW~bPR&vxp=mtr

Thanks

Shane Kelley

1 Wild R/T

As long as there is no serious damage to the bore and it cleans up with a quick hone job there's nothing wrong with putting a kit in it... We use to do it all the time.... Now we have parts changers....  The kit is still available through Raybesto but it's listed wrong.... I have the correct # somewhere but can't find it right now & I'm about top get on a flight....

750-h2

Most people send them out because with the 9171 MC the the front piston is usually seized in place and after it is removed there is scoring in the bore which requires the installation of a stainless steel sleeve. If the bore on yours is nice that kit should work great.

HP_Cuda

Hmm I have one to tear down to see how good the bore still is.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

JH27N0B

I worked at the company that made Raybestos from 1990 until I got laid off in 2005, and we didn't have a kit for '9171s when I worked there. They were obsolete since OEM Bendix stopped making them sometime in the late 70s or early 80s, and Raybestos sourced that kit from them.
The closest we had was for '67-'70 disc brake A bodies.  IIRC it had assembled piston assemblies and although the correct 1" bore diameter, one or both pistons are a little too short for the '9171.
A number of people got screwed over the years when they sent '9171s to White Post Restorations to be rebuilt, as they'd use a too short piston, and when customers would install, it wouldn't work.
They probably used that Raybestos A body disc kit.
Whatever the case, if you have a '9171 and the pistons are in good shape, but the seals are worn out, you can buy the A body kit new from a parts store,  and use the seals in that kit to refresh your '9171s pistons.
Some years back, I made engineering drawings of the '9171 pistons and gave them to Brake and Equipment warehouse so they can make new correct pistons.
I have a Mopar NOS kit and it's really great.  Both piston assemblies, new seats, a cap diaphragm, and even a new bale wire!  Now if I could just stumble across a nice '9171 casting to install all this stuff on!  :thinking: