Main Menu

Tie rod ends

Started by Those, April 14, 2019, 11:13:59 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Those

There seems to be two style of tie rod ends. Some are straight and some have a little off set. Right know I have the straight inner tie rods and the off set on the outer. If I had the off set on both sides it would help straight the angle of the sleeve and I would think improve handling. What was  original on these e-bodies?

Brads70

I don't think it matters from a handling perspective.  Might help with a clearance issue if you had one?
What's important from a handling perspective is the length between the ball sockets, the shape that holds those two ball sockets together could be a "U" shape for all that matters from a handling perspective.Packaging/strength of course is a different story.  I'm guessing the difference is between who make the tie rod.

Case and point, I used to be a tech inspector for a local Nascar sanctioned oval track. I had one competitor that wanted be to disqualify a competitor for mounting the upper ball joint on the bottom of the upper control arm instead of on top. I couldn't make that guy understand that it made no difference as the upper control arm didn't know LOL, it didn't change any dimensions. Mind you same guy had a fit when they allowed any lift camshaft and roller rockers but wanted me again to DQ a guy for having a different roller rocker arm ratio? he had 1.6 instead of 1.5 on a 350 Chevy  ::)

Those

Thanks Brad, I was thinking along lines of bump steer.