Main Menu

Tips on quieting slider type disc brake calipers

Started by GrandpaKevin, June 28, 2019, 05:55:22 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GrandpaKevin

The wife's Challenger has developed a rather annoying clunk or rattle while going over our rough roads.

I spent a few hours today going over the car making sure all the suspension parts are undamaged and properly torqued and everything looked perfect.

In doing a road test I noticed the rattling noise goes away when I lightly apply the brakes going over the same stretch of rough road so I'm thinking the calipers are rattling on the slider type mounts.
I did a front disc brake conversion on the car and it has about 500 miles on it.
I used the standard 10.95" rotor Mopar type conversion kit that Dr. Diff and many other vendors sell.

So I plan to remove the calipers, bend the tabs on the outboard brake pads to make sure they fit snugly in the caliper,
make sure the slider area looks flat and applying some silicone grease to the area?
and add O rings to the slider mount areas.

Anything I'm missing or any other suggestions?

Thanks. :bigthumb:

1 Wild R/T

On the outside pad bend the locator/locking tabs down slightly so the pad is clamping the ear of the caliper... I'll post a picture shortly..

Chryco Psycho

you can bend the spring plates held down by the 1/2 " bolts at each end of the caliper so there is more pressure pushing down on the caliper to hold the caliper tighter also , it depends if the pads are moving in the caliper or if the whole caliper is moving

Brads70

Good picture Topcat! Much easier than trying to explain it!  When it says support here, I have a favourite chisel I hammer in there then with a punch hammer down the taps.  Works for me....

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Brads70 on June 29, 2019, 03:22:32 AM
Good picture Topcat! Much easier than trying to explain it!  When it says support here, I have a favourite chisel I hammer in there then with a punch hammer down the taps.  Works for me....

I don't see a picture posted by Topcat... :dunno:

tman

If it isn't the pads, make sure the 2 Adaptor mounting bolts are tight to the knuckle.  I had similar symptoms as you mentioned and this was my fix.

GrandpaKevin

Thanks for the pictures and info.

The wife drove her car yesterday and it honestly sounded like the K member was going to fall out.
She was a little spooked to drive it much.

This is the kind of stuff that drives me crazy so of course I was up at 5am pulling the front wheels. :wrenching:

Looking at the outer brake pads they were actually pretty tight in the calipers, I think I tweaked the tabs when I originally installed them.
The high dollar rubber bands were completely gone of course.
I did notice I installed one( or two) of the retaining clips upside down and they were bent in the wrong direction. :headbang:

So I re-tweaked the tabs making the pads nice and tight, cleaned everything up, lubed all the sliding areas with brake Sil-grease, bent the retaining clips in the right direction and assembled everything back together.

After a couple road tests, the second with the wife driving EVERYTHING is nice and quiet again. :twothumbsup:

I'm thinking it was more loose calipers than loose brake pads but boy did it make a LOT of noise!

Brads70

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on June 29, 2019, 07:48:43 AM

Opps sorry that was your picture!  :-[

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Brads70 on June 29, 2019, 08:35:55 PM
Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on June 29, 2019, 07:48:43 AM

Opps sorry that was your picture!  :-[

:pokeeye: :pokeeye: :rofl: :rofl:  No Worries! Just having fun.. :drinkingbud: