Main Menu

Tired drooping rear springs

Started by GoMangoBoys, September 19, 2023, 04:03:13 AM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

So now that the Challenger is on the road, I feel that the rear end is too low.  I looked at a few others at the Moparty and feel that our rear is lower than the others.  Here is a side view showing how low the wheel opening sits compared to the tire.  One person that I spoke with suggested having a local spring shop re-arc the springs to 1" higher than spec as opposed to buying replacement springs.  Does anyone have any experience with either option?

dodj

Looks like factory designed height to me.
:dunno:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Chryco Psycho

Espo spring for replacement , Re arcing is possible , I have also cut the eyes from another main leaf & added it under the original spring pack as an option .

MoparCarGuy

Definitely too low.

RUNCHARGER

Agreed: That Cuda is the way I remember them sitting when new.
Myself I do as CP does I just add another leaf, same length as the main leaf but with the ears cut off.
Sheldon

GoMangoBoys

@RUNCHARGER  where should I acquire the extra leaf? Local spring shop?

Chryco Psycho

Sure or a wrecking yard , you will need new center bolts , I build clamps out of square top U bolts & a steel plate for the front section .

RUNCHARGER

Yes, a spring shop can hook you up, they will also have spring clamps if you need them and the slightly longer center pins you'll need. I usually have old mopar spring around that I canibalize but I've bought leafs from spring shops as well.
Every town used to have a few of spring shops but they're getting harder to find it seems.
Sheldon

Kowal

The Challenger in GoMangoBoys' pic is way too low.   Just go leaf with spring replacement.  Espo was mentioned.   I have used Eaton, who will make them any height you want.   Recently I replaced my Challenger's springs with the Mopar Parts replacements, they used to be troubled as a supplier but seem fine now.   What I got was very nice in appearance, not expensive, they ride smooth and the car is back to probably a tad over stock height which is what I wanted.

If you do it methodically, one side at a time, and have two hydraulic jacks the whole job is an easy half a day.
69 Hemi Charger 500, 70 U-code Challenger R/T
(Had but now gone...2 A12's, 1 Hemi B-body, 3 other B-bodies, 2 other E-bodies and an A-body...a good run!).  See www.DKowal426.com

P.J. O'Rouke:  "The old car ran perfectly, right up until it didn't."

Racer57

Is the center bolt long enough to allow an additional leaf ?

Chryco Psycho

Typically no , they're trimmed off once assembled just get new ones

BIGSHCLUNK

Not the best camera angle (only pic I got at the shop with a decent side view). But I think higher gives a better look/tire clearance. Mopar XHD springs 

MoparLeo

They do look better with a little rake to them, but I remember that they were low in the rear when new.
There was a ready market for Gabriel Hi-Jacker air shocks back then. One of the first mods that were done along with tires/wheels and an 8 track...
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

YellowThumper

Pondering the same for my setup as well.
My plan is the Espo because that brand has been mentioned far more than any others.
Overall pricing for all options seem similar.
New over re-arching because of the one and done aspect.
Car up, old out and new in. Done...
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Racer57

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 25, 2023, 08:01:43 PM
Typically no , they're trimmed off once assembled just get new ones
Sorry, but I need to make sure.  New ones are long enough to allow an additional spring ?