Main Menu

Torsion Bar Blast/Powder Coat-Yay or Nay?

Started by 7E-Bodies, February 16, 2021, 10:34:05 AM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

I'm fortunate to have a superb powder coat shop nearby. I tested him out by letting him do my k frame and he far exceeded expectations. I'd like to give him a larger batch of parts on the next round. I'm looking for suggestions on all parts that should be semi gloss to match my k frame (motor mount brackets are one thing). Also I'm mainly wondering if blasting and baking at 800 degrees would have an undesirable affect on the torsion bars (440 car, original parts).
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

gzig5

Annealing temp for steel is around 1400F so it should be OK.  I thought powder coat cured around 400F?  Or is the 800 part of the cleaning process?

Cuda_mark

Arent PST's torsion bars powder coated? I'd be more worried about sand blasting them. You might be better off chemically stripping them.

7E-Bodies

@gzig5 you may be correct. I may be basing his job on my k frame where he said he'd bake it at 800. That may have been to assure it was clean of all oil/grease.

7E-Bodies

@Cuda_mark you're the second one I've heard that from. Interesting. I'd have no problem getting some stripper to do this with (no pun intended, lol). I really want to be sure not to goof up these original parts. They are in super shape as this car was stored indoors most of it's life and only has 64k miles.

Spikedog08

I think the powder coating goes to about 300* . . should work! 
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Brads70

Should be no problem but be prepared to have to grind it off on the hex's  as sometimes its on thick enough to no got in as it should.  :alan2cents:

Cuda_mark

If they are in good shape, you might want to just consider leaving them alone. The factory dipped originals have very characteristic drips along the bottom edge of how they were sitting as they dried. Kind of a cool feature that only mopar nuts would pick up on.

7E-Bodies

@Cuda_mark I'll get them out and have a closer look at them along with a good cleaning. Good advice.

anlauto

Quote from: Brads70 on February 16, 2021, 12:38:00 PM
Should be no problem but be prepared to have to grind it off on the hex's  as sometimes its on thick enough to no got in as it should.  :alan2cents:

Yea, I would tell them not to powder coats the ends  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

dodj

Can powder coat survive the twisting of the bar?  :dunno:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

7E-Bodies

BFM_Cuda

Quote from: dodj on February 16, 2021, 02:18:15 PM
Can powder coat survive the twisting of the bar?  :dunno:

I would be shocked if it couldn't. They won't twist that much.
I would powder coat them without a second thought.   :alan2cents: