Main Menu

Shout out to a local small business: powder coat

Started by 7E-Bodies, February 07, 2021, 04:44:44 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

Picked up my K frame after blast/powder coat. Local small business, family owned. Great guy, great work, very diligent and honest. I chose to pay him extra when he said what I owed him. I don't do that often. He's in central Illinois for the record. Saved me a ton of time by not doing it myself and powder coat does such a nicer job IMO.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Spikedog08

Had a cousin that did powder coating and helped with a lot of my cars . . both of my k-frames have been done and they still look great!  Worth the time for me! 
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

R/T's 4 R/P

I don't believe powder coating attaches to the inner surfaces. What do you do for those?
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

HP2

Powder coat will attached wherever you point the gun. If they stuck it up into the openings, then there is powder inside. It actually flows better than paint as the static can pull it into places that are near but not directly inline with the gun direction. The key is cleaning. Good places will use a phosphorus based cleaner to get grease and oils off the surface.

anlauto

I like to find a place local to me that does it more affordable....I had two valve covers done in November and they charged me $175.00 :o  I can buy a lot of rattle cans for that price. :headbang:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

7E-Bodies

This kid tried to charge me only $125. Let's just say I tipped him well. I thought that was cheap for the amount of work he did.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Moprr

Some of these places have a minimum fee so if you bring them 2 small pieces it may cost the same as if you bring them many more pieces if it's all the same colour. 

FE5CUDA

I had a set of HEMI valve covers done by Mr. Ross at BEA a couple weeks ago, he charged me $50 since he was already loading his over with other valve covers and air cleaners in wrinkle finish.  The wrinkle finish is incredible and he refused to take my tip, said to use the money for other expenses I have, doesn't get any better than that.  Also, he let me hang around while he was cooking my covers and spent time with me discussing his restoration processes, what a wealth of information.

JS29

Yes Mike is a stand up guy, and a wealth of knowledge.  He is missed by a lot of folks around here.  :alan2cents: