Main Menu

torsion bar issue

Started by BFM_Cuda, May 27, 2017, 08:49:24 AM

Previous topic Next topic

BFM_Cuda

So I was cleaning up some parts today and noticed that both of my torsion bars have a slight bow in them. The one is barely noticeable, but the other is enough that the middle of the bar almost touches the bench when it is laid flat and rolled to its lowest point.

I am thinking I will need to replace them? or is this a normal thing. Any thoughts from the group would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Cuda Cody

Not normal at all.  They should not have a bow in them.  :alan2cents:

Burdar

They shouldn't have a bow in them but as long as they don't have any deep scratches in them, they will probably work just fine. I used to have a 95 Dakota that had severely bowed torsion bars and I never had a problem.  It used to be a farm truck and someone must have ran into a tree stump at some point.  The torsion bar x-member was badly bent which put the bars into a bend.

That being said, if you have the car apart, now would be the time to replace them.

Brads70

:alan2cents:   I'd replace them with something from Firm Feel. Mopar bars I've found  lacking quality in the steel. Then are not consistent. At least 1" diameter unless your doing a original type restoration.
I have 1.120" in mine with a big block.

Chryco Psycho

Most I have seen are not straight after years of use , I had one recently that interfered with the headers  pulled the bar back & rotated it 180* & there was lots of clearance  !
still I would take the opportunity to replace them with a larger bar

RUNCHARGER

I have seen some with a slight bow as well. I suppose it will work okay but new ones are relatively inexpensive.
Sheldon

BFM_Cuda

Thanks for the feedback guys, I will probably look for a larger set of bars.     :cheers:

MOPAR MITCH

Don't be afraid of larger TBs..... the factory TBs are pathetically soft, even the factory "heavy-duty".   Do yourself a wonderful favor and install at least the FF 1.12 diameters.... then you'll wonder why why you didn't go stiffer yet, such as the FF 1.18.    New better shocks will also compliment the ride.... consider 2x adjustables, such as Viking or QA1 (Vikings are the best deal now and are very similar to the QA1s yet less costly).