Main Menu

Torsion bars

Started by Mopar5, April 23, 2019, 04:14:20 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mopar5

I am test fitting the torsion bars on the 70 Challenger should the notch in the rear as viewed from tourque box have any particular orientation ?when when I took them out passenger side notch was clocked to about 10 o'clock the drivers was vertical

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Dakota

It won't matter how the torsion bar is clocked as long as it's on the correct side. 

Mopar5

Mopar5

One other question I have is I am assuming that when you install the torsion bar into the LCA  socket there will be no preload or anything required on the adjuster bolt on the LCA in other words the adjuster bolt will be completely backed off.

anlauto

The torsion bar should be the last thing you put in. In other words, you should have the spindles installed, upper and lower ball joints all connected. I like having all the brakes finished too for the added weight.

With the car supported and the LCA's hanging as low as they'll go with the weight I just mentioned.
Install the adjuster bolt blocks in the LCA and thread the bolt in until the round head is just peeking through.
Push the adjuster down all the way until it rest on adjuster bolt's round head.

Your torsion bars should now be lined up perfectly, if not, just pry slightly down on the control arm

Both sockets for both ends of the torsion bar should be greased nicely first.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

73_Cuda_4_Me

73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

Mopar5