Main Menu

Torsion Bars

Started by ply64post, January 23, 2018, 12:27:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

ply64post

:unitedstates:

Need some help. What is the proper way to prep torsion bars for a restoration? I know not to nick them, can they be bead blasted ?

Thanks in advance
                                                            Jeff

Chryco Psycho

You know I bet not , bead blasting them may harden the surface & cause a crack , although I doubt it would harden it enough to actually hurt them , Maybe a wire wheel ?

anlauto

I've been having them media blasted for over 30 years and never had an issue.....if you're worried, then paint stripper and a wire wheel...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

GY3R/T

And if you want the factory look... After stripping, Dip them horizontally in heavy black paint so drips appear on bottom of bar. Keep bar horizontal till dry. Or Spray heavy till you get drips.

ply64post

Quote from: anlauto on January 23, 2018, 02:19:39 PM
I've been having them media blasted for over 30 years and never had an issue.....if you're worried, then paint stripper and a wire wheel...

Thank you. I just wanted  an answer from someone who has experience in restoration. The glass I have in the blasting cabinet has been used hard, so it is really fine and it should work?

Thank You
                                                        Jeff