Main Menu

Trim Rings For 15 x 7 Rallys ??

Started by B5TA, October 08, 2023, 09:06:07 AM

Previous topic Next topic

B5TA

I know there is a sticky thread on this, but was wondering if any New thoughts are out there concerning 15 x 7 trim rings ? I want to buy a set of 4 to put on my Challenger that does the job . Any opinions out there recently ???    Thanks , Kevin

RUNCHARGER

If you just want ones that do the job buy the repros from Coker tire. If you want ones even close to correct you have to find used OEMs and have them restored. None of the reproes are close to correct.
Sheldon

Mr Cuda

This thread is as good as any to ask the question?
What are the differences,  besides just depth, on the repop?
Maybe someone has pictures.
I have rallyes in need of some rings.

JH27N0B

I have some aftermarket and original rings stashed, I'll try to dig them out and take some pictures later.
One problem with the aftermarket rings was they take on something of a pewter hue instead of the silver they are supposed to be.
Truth be known, few have sharp enough eyes to really notice the differences, unless you are doing a OE restoration maybe not worth losing sleep over.
I bought some of the Mopar repros that came out 12 or 13 years ago. Pundits on forums ripped on them for issues they saw.  Even putting them next to used OEM rings I had, I really had trouble seeing the issues they railed against.  Maybe a radius of a recess was off by .001" or something unforgivable like that.  :haha:
The main problem I found was when I went to install them on my restoration.  As much as I tried I could never get the rings to install evenly around the entire diameter of my 15x7 wheels.  They diameter must be around .001" too large!
Does anyone restore these now?  I still have some 50 year old nice cores stashed for if I ever find a good source!

340challconvert

Get some originals and have; Rick Miller rkmiller@infowest.com.  restore

Think he is still doing wheel ring restos

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

RUNCHARGER

Differences: Some of the reproes are manufactured in totally wrong colour metal, they have sort of a light copper sheen to them. Some of the reproes clamp onto the outside edge of the rim. All of them have the wrong profile. None of them have the character line that is present on the outside edge of factory rings. None of them have the nicely curved surface that meets the center of the wheel and on polished versions reflects the wheel opening slots.
Rings that sorta look okay are the C3 Corvette 15X8 trim rings. They kind of have the inner profile but mount to the outside of the rims. I'm talking about factory GM rings (I had a bad experience owning a 79 Corvette at one time). They have the same dimensions as the Mopar 15X7 rings, not the 6.5 versions though.
Sheldon

70pumpkin

I get all the differences between the various trim rings.  What would really help is a side-by-side image detailed comparison with the differences circled and labeled.  There are various pics posted throughout the site but it's difficult to really capture the profile detail.  If someone is able to do this, please add it to the sticky trim ring thread.

6bblgt

2944390 (May 1970) 15x7.0 inch RALLYE wheel
3461043 polished trim ring

6bblgt

3461222 brushed trim ring

6bblgt

3699100 brushed trim ring *** 1976 15x6.5 inch trim ring  - notice the gap at the wheel VS above pictures

6bblgt

this is crude and exaggerated, but the lip details on reproduction trim rings aren't very accurate   :thinking:  too "FLAT"

6bblgt

IMO these are the closest currently available "reproductions"   :takealook:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175942191522

70pumpkin

Fantastic!  Pics and the profile diagram are very helpful.  Thanks.

Mr Cuda

Thanks to  @6bblgt  "again" for providing backup information.
I wasn't even aware that there was a sticky on  trim ring information. (As mentioned,  haven't looked)
  Of the mentioned link, I will be ordering some soon, then I need to get my originals redone.

JH27N0B

Here is a picture of a Wheel Vintiques vs a original Mopar 15x7 ring.  The Wheel Vintiques is polished and the Mopar is brushed so they do look a little different beyond just the geometry.