Main Menu

What width/offset and tires can I stuff under it?

Started by FSHTAIL, June 09, 2017, 01:39:53 AM

Previous topic Next topic

RUNCHARGER

That housing looks fairly clean as it sits. It should be an easy clean up of what's left. I would have a good look at the wheel bearings and if they look good I would clean them up as best you can and relube them before using sketchy green bearings.
Sheldon

FSHTAIL

I'm going green bearing gen 2.
Just waiting for the Dr. to be in.  [emoji14]

Why are green bearings sketchy?
I thought those were the new cats pajamas?   

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

FSHTAIL

Better pictures of the 65 housing. 

RUNCHARGER

The original Chrysler wheel bearings were tapered roller and pretty much indestructible. The greens are just a ball bearing with maybe 10% of the load capacity of the original Chrysler bearings (admittedly the Chrysler setup was over-engineered). The original Chrysler bearings could be repacked with wheel bearing grease for servicing, the greens are sealed and will go out when they feel like it. A lot of people have good luck with the greens, but I haven't.
Sheldon

FSHTAIL

My new donor housing seems to have some excellent condition bearings.   I'll just freshen up the seals and blast the housing. 

HP2

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on July 10, 2017, 06:27:41 PM
The original Chrysler wheel bearings were tapered roller and pretty much indestructible. The greens are just a ball bearing with maybe 10% of the load capacity of the original Chrysler bearings (admittedly the Chrysler setup was over-engineered). The original Chrysler bearings could be repacked with wheel bearing grease for servicing, the greens are sealed and will go out when they feel like it. A lot of people have good luck with the greens, but I haven't.

I'd also add that the Greens were developed for drag racing where the reduction in roller/race contact and decreases in friction were desirable and side loads were less than conventional driving. Many have have good experiences with Green bearings, but they are not as robust as the tapered rollers.

FSHTAIL

Can oem bearings still be had?     Parts store bearings like stock?

HP2

Oh yeah, replacement bearings are still available.