Main Menu

Used Tires?

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, September 23, 2019, 07:56:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

Today I was helping my buddy with the GTO (again) and we noticed he had a really bad tire. He hasn't decided what tire and wheel he wants but we needed something so we could test drive it. Best option seemed to be a used tire but my experience with them at tire shops hasn't been good. They are usually short term mismatched rollers for projects and not much better.

He found a tire shop nearby though that specializes in used tires and while we were there, I spotted a set of BF Goodrich's in the back. Turns out they were exactly what I needed for the RT I'm about to list and they guy offered them to me for $200 including mounting, balancing, disposal fees and taxes. Apparently some guy with a classic car came in days prior and special ordered a lower profile set and didn't want these anymore because they were only 70 series. These tires are practically new. And for an extra $20, he took the two best old ones of mine and put them onto spares, even balanced them.

With the new rubber, I figured I had to knock the surface rust off the wheels and clean it all up a bit nicer. I think this $200 is going to be money well spent in helping me get a good price for the RT.

I never gave much thought to the idea of used tires at a shop but from now on, I'm gonna check these types of places as the need arises.

BIGSHCLUNK

We sell used tires daily. And there is a company in my area with over 10 locations. Sounds like you hit the right day at the right time 

And remember, we drive on used tires every day.

MoparLeo

The Major Tire Company I retired from stopped selling used tires for good reasons. Number one, check the date codes on even "new" tires. Some tires, especially tires in the classic car sizes can sometimes have been in storage for a long period of time. If over 5 years or older, only consider them as tire to park or move the car around the shop type. Check the bead areas for damage. Check for  previous repairs or evidence of being driven on when flat. Check inner liner for any damage or powdered rubber. Remember that with the high cost of tires that you will seldom "hit the motherload". There is usually more to the story than you know. Know this though, if the tire fails at hi-way speeds you are likely to suffer fender or other damage to your car and possibly have an accident and/or injure someone.
In the tire business since 1973 til 2008. Have seen a lot of things personally, not just stories.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Katfish

They look good, as long as the date is not too old, I say go for it.

GoodysGotaCuda

Be sure to look at the date of build on the tire, no telling how old they are.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: MoparLeo on September 23, 2019, 11:01:30 PM
The Major Tire Company I retired from stopped selling used tires for good reasons. Number one, check the date codes on even "new" tires. Some tires, especially tires in the classic car sizes can sometimes have been in storage for a long period of time. If over 5 years or older, only consider them as tire to park or move the car around the shop type. Check the bead areas for damage. Check for  previous repairs or evidence of being driven on when flat. Check inner liner for any damage or powdered rubber. Remember that with the high cost of tires that you will seldom "hit the motherload". There is usually more to the story than you know. Know this though, if the tire fails at hi-way speeds you are likely to suffer fender or other damage to your car and possibly have an accident and/or injure someone.
In the tire business since 1973 til 2008. Have seen a lot of things personally, not just stories.

And these are all the reasons I've never looked for them. I was able to inspect these and they had no damage in or out. Only four years old and guessing by how nice they are, probably on a car stored in the garage out of the daily sun.

I shared only to point out that good deals can be found and apparently that includes tires which I didn't think really possible. I would probably opt for new on an expensive build or something I was keeping long term but for a car I'm selling, they are 10 times better than the set I was going to sell the car with. And some folks need a decent temporary solution until they figure out what they really want on a car so this is an affordable way to bridge that gap.

BIGSHCLUNK

The BIGgest killer of tires is sun/heat. Dry rot is obvious and easy to spot. So are tread-ware issues. Beads on the inside is an obvious it's been run flat. I only buy late model insurance wrecks and trade in's. we get lots of really nice pair's and several nice set's. They only "new " tires I've bought in the last 35+ years have been for my New Holland Skid Steer. There is a major auto manufacturer that says used parts are junk. (per se). So here's what that means - you buy their car. you drive it a year, now it's "used" and it's JUNK! Hmmmmm   Just because it went from one vehicle to another?? I would put a tire company in the same light. I drove your tires for a year, now their used, now their JUNK.  :thinking:  Like anything else in this "buyer beware" world we live in. Product knowledge is key, but THIS AIN'T ROCKET SCIENCE..  :burnout:

MoparLeo

Caveat Emptor, look it up.. The point is that you don't know the "provenance" of the tires or any thing else that is not "new" and as such you are making a judgment call and accepting any liability/blame for the performance of the item.  A lot of things "look good" but that  does not always mean that it is "good". That was why I suggest that I personally would not trust an "old" tire on the highway with my car/family. "old" meaning a tire that was not a new trade// takeoff tire. Just do your due diligence and if not sure about something, ask a friend to help/show you what to look for.

Chryco Psycho

Brads70

Katfish

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on September 24, 2019, 02:23:12 PM
There is a major auto manufacturer that says used parts are junk. (per se). So here's what that means - you buy their car. you drive it a year, now it's "used" and it's JUNK! Hmmmmm   Just because it went from one vehicle to another?? I would put a tire company in the same light. I drove your tires for a year, now their used, now their JUNK.  :thinking:  Like anything else in this "buyer beware" world we live in. Product knowledge is key, but THIS AIN'T ROCKET SCIENCE..  :burnout:

Well said, it boils done to fear mongering, and ultimately money like every other argument.

70 Challenger Lover

I would love to get a set of Goodyear Polyglas for my other car. If anyone has a nice used set in the corner of the garage taking up space, please don't risk putting them back on your car. I'm willing to take the risk for you by installing them on my ride.

MoparLeo

Go ahead and laugh. Safety is no laughing matter. There are other people reading these post's that need serious info.

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: MoparLeo on September 24, 2019, 06:48:46 PM
Go ahead and laugh. Safety is no laughing matter. There are other people reading these post's that need serious info.

It was a joke and I think everyone sees it as that. Truth is these cars are horribly unsafe even with the best tires money can buy. I'd like to think that if I can rebuild an engine or install new frame rails, I can probably look at a rubber tire and decide if it's safe enough to reuse. If I went through life worrying about every minor chance I'm taking on something like this, I'd never leave the house.

I think everyone is overreacting to me putting these tires on a car I'm selling. They are way better than what I was going to sell the car with. The new owner is free to put on brand new tires and yes I will disclose what I've done so he can make an informed decision.