Main Menu

1970 Challenger SE - Massive restoration

Started by BAM, January 24, 2021, 03:36:39 AM

Previous topic Next topic

BAM

Quote from: anlauto on April 19, 2021, 10:35:24 AM
That's an interesting question, I was going to suggest RockAuto or a place like that, but they seem to have pistons, bearings etc...but no rods....
:thinking:

True that. It seems to be hard to find...

Montclaire

For common small block parts, like one or two 318 rods, you can always post a wanted ad on FABO.

BAM

Hello guys,

We have installed a new radiator support on the challenger which is bigger than the original one. Can you please recommend a radiator to work with my little 318 in a very hot weather? The car will have AC if that makes a difference

BAM

Body work nearly done! waiting to meet the guy that will do the paint job and if we agree on the price, it will be a marathon to get everything done.

The used parts which were sold as "ACE" condition, needed quite a bit of work but it is what it is.

Fenders ordered for the 4th time as JEGS claimed FedEX won`t take them, this after waiting for 2 months for them to contact me. FedEX is doing sea freight shipments but whatever. Ordered from themoparshop.com as Ed was always helpful. Will have to wait another 45-60 days for delivery

BAM

Is there something like huge "DODGE" letters that go on the hood? I feel like those holes are for something very large  :)

BAM

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on May 10, 2021, 09:04:24 AM
Yes, individual letters.

https://dantesparts.com/i-30499964-mopar-19701972-1974-challenger-dodge-hood-letters.html

I think I`ll just cover those holes. I hate the look of those large DODGE letters. I mean it just looks weird...

anlauto

Quote from: BAM on May 10, 2021, 11:31:58 PM
Yes, individual letters.

https://dantesparts.com/i-30499964-mopar-19701972-1974-challenger-dodge-hood-letters.html

I think I`ll just cover those holes. I hate the look of those large DODGE letters. I mean it just looks weird...

Those are not the right ones, they are HUGE :rubeyes: What are they off of a Van or something ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

BAM

Quote from: anlauto on May 11, 2021, 04:29:53 AM
Quote from: BAM on May 10, 2021, 11:31:58 PM
Yes, individual letters.

Those are not the right ones, they are HUGE :rubeyes: What are they off of a Van or something ?

@anlauto  Don`t know. Is a friend of mine, doing up a challenger, insisting that those are correct for 1970 :) Those are hideous and i rather just weld up the holes and keep everything clean.

Challenger in NC

BAM

Hello guys,

Long time to post anything here. We are running into another problem, with the engine this time. Well, it`s all ready to reassemble but, the headgasket ordered from rockauto, has it`s bore way larger than the cylinder bore.

Cylinder bore is 99mm
old head gasket that came with the engine is 102mm bore
the new gasket is 106mm bore which looks to leave too much room (see photo attached).

Also, the flywheel is missing and I`m not sure which one i need to order for this 318 that comes with an auto A904 transmission - Please help here too

Thank you all - will get back with photos of the car when the fenders will arrive (19th July) which will actually finalize the bodywork

anlauto

Quote from: BAM on June 25, 2021, 09:34:45 AM

Also, the flywheel is missing and I`m not sure which one i need to order for this 318 that comes with an auto A904 transmission - Please help here too

You're looking for a flexplate not a fly wheel for your 318/904 set up. They are available at RockAuto :twothumbsup:

........and your A904 will need a torque convertor as well of course
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

BAM

Quote from: anlauto on June 25, 2021, 09:50:16 AM
Quote from: BAM on June 25, 2021, 09:34:45 AM

You're looking for a flexplate not a fly wheel for your 318/904 set up. They are available at RockAuto :twothumbsup:

........and your A904 will need a torque convertor as well of course

Thank you @anlauto Any tips for the head gasket dilemma?

anlauto

I'll leave that gasket question up to the engine builders on the site  :twothumbsup:

RUNCHARGER

Headgaskets should be fine. They are generic and fit the larger 340 bore as well as your 318.
Sheldon