Main Menu

1970 Challenger T/A (B5 with a 4 speed 3.91)

Started by 69CudaFan, December 11, 2018, 07:46:22 PM

Previous topic Next topic

JH27N0B

From what I understand, the notch wasn't present even through most or all of the '71 model year.  The notch came about for design changes with the headlights for 72-74 Challengers.  The notched fender on '70-71 replacement parts apparently was a design consolidation or cost reduction that started appearing on all new Challenger fender production at some point in the '70s. That's why NOS '70-71 Challenger fenders always seem to have it.
It's not too difficult to do some bodywork on a Challenger fender to make it look correct, one of the fenders on my T/A had to be updated like this.  I think Alan once stated it's about 4 hour job for a body shop.

RUNCHARGER

The piece to repair is just flat tin cut to the right shape. I bought NOS fenders from the dealer in 1980 and that is what I got. They probably came that way since 1972 I imagine.
Sheldon

6bblgt

the "notch" started showing up on spring '71 production Challengers, but wasn't needed until the new for 1972 model year header panel
- by then the marker light had also changed & the over-the-counter fenders available for '70-'71 all had the "notch"

anlauto

Gees...what a rookie mistake ! Who the heck is restoring this thing ??? :pokeeye: :pokeeye: :pokeeye: :Stirring: :Stirring: :Stirring: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mymcodebee

It's not too difficult to do some bodywork on a Challenger fender to make it look correct, one of the fenders on my T/A had to be updated like this.  I think Alan once stated it's about 4 hour job for a body shop.
[/quote]

Holy Alan your guys are poking your clients on that repair job.  4 Hours and four coffee breaks!!     :pokeeye: :pokeeye: :pokeeye: :pokeeye: :Stirring: :Stirring: :Stirring: :cheers: :cheers:
We'll have it cured in two hours tomorrow..   We don't need pieces;  its a simple fix!
Not many challenger have come through here so not something I have had my hands on so glad it was noticed as it is a very easy fix now off the car.

anlauto

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I don't recall saying 4 hours, but if I did that was for two fenders....you better check your other one while you're at it :haha: :haha: :haha:

:drinkingbud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

69CudaFan

Glad we caught it. Thank you to members' watchful eyes.  :bigthumb:  :needphotos:

6bblgt

a picture of the complete fender flange/grill mounting area will show another issue

the hood stop locator is the wrong style & wrong location for 1970

6bblgt

anlauto

Mymcodebee

He's on it.  We noticed that in the pics posted.   Kind of crazy they changed that much for really not much benefit.. 

6bblgt

many '70 hoods are bent down at the front from no support under the front ~12"  :pullinghair:

Mymcodebee

That makes sense.   
We looked last night and I have no less than 25 cuda fenders in the garage rafters  including three original AAR fenders but not one 70 Challenger fender in the whole shop or outside on the parts cars! 

Machoramcharger

I'm using NOS head light bezels, probably needed the cut out on the fenders to use those(lol).  Now are those the only things different on those nos fenders to the original 70 fenders.

69CudaFan

While you wait for updates, the third owner showed me a pic of where the car was stored during the winters for the first three owners. It is more run down than it used to be, and had wood floors which helped keep the rust to a minimum.