Main Menu

1970 Cuda V code barn/garage find project

Started by johnshotrods, January 01, 2024, 10:59:09 AM

Previous topic Next topic

johnshotrods

Well,  with the New year here its time to start in on my 1970 Cuda 440 numbers matching V code car. I'll apologize right now as this may take me some time as its my first Mopar project and I will have A LOT OF DOCUMENTAION along the way .
I'll be asking some questions along the way so many thanks in advance .
First off as of now this will not be a full restoration . ( at least as of now LOL)
I'm starting out with the complete engine/transmission rebuild so i can get it up and running again .
1st up will be getting in line at the machine shop and sourcing out all the parts . The carbs im hoping can be brought back to ( like new again ) and are missing some parts so i,m searching for a Holley guru that can restore them .

cuda hunter

Can't wait to see some pics! 
Love barn finds.
What shape is it in?
What options does it have?
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

johnshotrods

Hi @cuda hunter , so yeah i,m starting in on the Cuda I bought in may of 2022 . I'm not the greatest with computers but will try and post progress reports an pictures as I go . I spent this afternoon researching carb restoration shops and it looks like i,m gonna give Harms a call tomorrow morning and get something setup .
I'm hoping the carbs I got with the car are the correct ones , from what i can tell by the numbers they do seem to match up .
At some point they have been slightly modified and the vacuum parts were removed and they had mechanical linkage out on them opening them all at the same time . I'll see if i can post photos .

cuda hunter

The photo came through just fine.
Harms will do you right.  Great product and workmanship. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Cuda Cody

R/T's 4 R/P

Looking forward to the pictures.
Depending on what your idea of a 'full' restoration is, and if this is your first foray into that activity, keep in mind that many restoration parts or sub-contractors are many months or years away from completing parts (Scott At Harms is backlogged, Legendary is 9-10 months for interior and...I have been waiting almost 3 years for seat belts from Bill Edwards, etc)
So, sending parts out and keeping track of what is away is critical.
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

johnshotrods

@R/T's4r/p
Quote from: R/T's 4 R/P on January 02, 2024, 06:05:52 AMLooking forward to the pictures.
Depending on what your idea of a 'full' restoration is, and if this is your first foray into that activity, keep in mind that many restoration parts or sub-contractors are many months or years away from completing parts (Scott At Harms is backlogged, Legendary is 9-10 months for interior and...I have been waiting almost 3 years for seat belts from Bill Edwards, etc)
So, sending parts out and keeping track of what is away is critical.
yeah I'll explain my plans here a little bit for this car . My plans right now are to get the engine and trans rebuilt and go thru the brakes and suspension so I can drive and enjoy the car . I had it at MCACN in 2022 and overwhelmingly 90% of the people thought it should be left as is because the car tells its life story as is and it can always be restored to shiny and new again . So thats the plan right now is to leave the body alone . yeah i,m well aware of the back log as far as getting parts or machine work done . All 3 of the machine shops I use are backed up almost a year . I'm restoring 2 65 Buick skylark GS,s right now and it took me 13 months to get my interior from Legendary interiors  . This car has its numbers matching 440 so i gonna try and find correct parts for it as i am or was missing some stuff . ( mainly radiator, exhaust and misc oem parts under the hood . I did buy a new radiator from Glen Ray and it is VERY NICE  .
So thats the plan in a nut shell .

johnshotrods

Well back to the drawing board ! Emailed Scott at Harms the other day and got a message back today saying he's not even accepting any more work temporarily as he's so back logged since covid . So looks like ill be searching some more unless anyone here knows of another carb shop that does really good work .

cuda hunter

Is that original paint on the cuda?

All original body panels?

Any cool options on the car?  Other than N96?

cuda hunter

Quote from: johnshotrods on January 03, 2024, 07:20:27 PMWell back to the drawing board ! Emailed Scott at Harms the other day and got a message back today saying he's not even accepting any more work temporarily as he's so back logged since covid . So looks like ill be searching some more unless anyone here knows of another carb shop that does really good work .

That's rough. 
I would assume that he will never make more M46 scoops since he is so backed up with work as it is.  No time for side projects. 

johnshotrods

Quote from: cuda hunter on January 03, 2024, 07:28:01 PMIs that original paint on the cuda?

All original body panels?

Any cool options on the car?  Other than N96?
@cuda hunter it has had a repaint sometime in the eighties but not a very good one at that .
But yeah all the sheet metal is original . I would say its not a heavily optioned car but looks like it was ordered to get the job done on the streets .   :burnout:
Heres the fender tag .

cuda hunter

Wow!  That is an awesome car!  Doesn't get much better than that!
Thanks for sharing.  I'd leave it alone as well if it presents well enough. 

anlauto

Quote from: johnshotrods on January 03, 2024, 07:20:27 PMWell back to the drawing board ! Emailed Scott at Harms the other day and got a message back today saying he's not even accepting any more work temporarily as he's so back logged since covid . So looks like ill be searching some more unless anyone here knows of another carb shop that does really good work .

You could contact these guys, I haven't tried them yet ... https://www.thecarbguys.ca/
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mr Cuda

Sometimes,  the coolest options are no options. 
 I know I need to get my own thread going with my v code,  but it's down the list, so I'm following along.
 I've been watching other builds and using their difficulties in getting parts and materials as a warning,  and have been jumping here and there making sure I have everything I need.
 I've been working on interior parts and needed to spray all the door panels white so they match. The standard white interior color needs a toner that SEM has on backorder, for a year. So I had to substitute polyester basecoat toner.
 The well respected chrome shop shut down the automotive division.  Don't know if it's permanent or just not doing pot metal anymore.  Not that a $700 rechrome makes sense against a new AMD for $249-300. Oh, but the rears don't fit well I've heard.
 My radiator guy will only recore, no repair.  So glenray. 
Try a simple tire dismount, that used to be easy, then get the wheels sandblasted.  Now a minimum charge,  so find out ahead of time to make sure that you have 10 wheels or a parts pile big enough to justify the minimum.  And wait for the call when done.
 It's not like the old days.

johnshotrods

Well here's a little update on the 440 tear down . Needless to say I was kinda disappointed but things should be ok after its all cleaned up and machine work done .
It looks like this thing was raced/driven harder than i thought . I was expecting a stock bore stock pistons and maybe just a camshaft upgrade but NOPE ! Its already been bored .030 over with 12.5 TRW pistons and the rods have been ground on like they more than likely balanced the rotating assembly . Luckily the cylinders look really good so I'm hoping we can just rigid hone it out to .040 over , I am really gonna try and avoid going .060 over . So this friday it goes to the first machine shop to get the block and heads thermal cleaned , blasted and magnafluxed . I'm also gonna start looking for some misc. hard parts like the correct 440 6bbl balancer ( they had the wrong one one it ) a single groove crank pulley ( some of the bolt holes are oblonged ) and a correct oil pan .
I,ll try and get a few photos