Main Menu

Barn Find 1971 Cuda project in Kansas

Started by 70B5Cuda, January 12, 2024, 09:42:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70B5Cuda

I first found this 1971 'Cuda when I was trying to find/buy the numbers matching 383 for my burgundy Charger. The owner took me into his Morton building to look at the engine and this '71 was sitting in the corner. He told me that he had originally planned to use it as a parts car for his other Barracudas but I told him it was very savable. I tried to buy it for the past 3 years but couldn't make anything happen until I found something the owner wanted. I was able to make a trade for it a couple weeks ago. The original 383 is long gone but the original 727, broadcast sheet, and fender tag are all there. It is a very late production car...last week of June.

Here it is in the barn when I first looked at it

dodj

Nice!
Amazes me how people keep finding these cars, any year, like they have to be all found at some point!
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Blowout

:welcome: great group of people here. Sounds like a cool car, keep those progress photos and videos coming.

blown motor

Good video and what a great find.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Cuda Cody

That is SUPER cool!  You have to be beyond stoked.  :banana:    :veryexcited:

soundcontrol

What a great project! Green door panels and blue seats, is that original? Never seen it before.
So you are not gonna paint it? I like that, my 70 Barracuda is in RAT mode, my daily driver in the summer, runs great, gets more attention on car meets than the perfect restorations.

cudamadd

Jay Bee

Quote from: soundcontrol on January 13, 2024, 11:53:54 AMWhat a great project! Green door panels and blue seats, is that original?
My guess would be that's what happens to the blue panels as they age and fade.

anlauto

Too bad it won't get a full proper restoration first, great candidate for it. :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70B5Cuda

Thanks all!
Cody-long time since you were here last!
I am super stoked! I seem to trip over Chargers all the time, but I've never come across a 71 Cuda/Barracuda in Kansas. I would love to give it a full resto but I have about 10 "keeper" Mopars at the moment and 5 kids in private school (K-10th grade) so I'm pretty much burried at the moment.
I know some won't like that I'm not restoring it but the important thing is that I'll keep it inside and I'll be moving it forward significantly starting with new floorpans. It needs those to be safe. I'll make it mechanically sound, have alot of fun with it, and someday it will get a full resto...I just don't know when.
But seriously, when was the last time you saw an unrestored 1971 Barracuda/Cuda on the road???? The last one I saw on the road was a 1971 Barracuda (318/auto) that a local buddy of mine owned from about 1993 to about 1999 and he drove it everywhere (he bought it complete for $300!!!!)...so its been nearly 25 years since I saw an unrestored one on the road. It will be very unique. And I know some really good hammer/dolly and PDR guys so I'm excited to see what can be done with it.

b5cuda

Cool project, glad to see it come to light! Where are you at in Kansas? I'm in Manhattan.

blown motor

I think it cool that you're going to make it a safe driver and have fun with. Every car doesn't need a trailer queen restoration.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

RUNCHARGER

I'd do that as well. You can always do more later. I think it's important to get as many of these cars on the road and driving as we can. Good for you finding and rescuing it. No offense to the previous owner but after they sit that long there is pretty much no hope that they'll do anything with it at all.
Sheldon

70B5Cuda

Quote from: b5cuda on January 13, 2024, 07:34:23 PMCool project, glad to see it come to light! Where are you at in Kansas? I'm in Manhattan.

Thanks all! I usually let projects get way out of control and it takes me years and years to finish them...I keep promising myself I won't do. that on this one. lol

Manhattan isn't far at all. I'm in Newton...the car was in Wichita, which is about 25 miles from me!

b5cuda

Cool to have another member in the neighborhood! Wish you well on your project, keep us posted and let me know if you get near Manhattan.