Main Menu

1970 Cuda V code barn/garage find project

Started by johnshotrods, January 01, 2024, 10:59:09 AM

Previous topic Next topic

johnshotrods

440 engine photos

7E-Bodies

Scott at Harms did mine for my U code, factory carb. I'm not driving it yet, but it looks new and communication was primo.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Johnshotrods your Cuda has the same scheduled production date as my 440-6 Cuda and the serial numbers are quite close and share similar options.Good luck with your build!
Have you found your build sheet?

johnshotrods

@704406 I have not found a build sheet yet and have looked pretty much everywhere . This car sat in a barn and garage since 1990 and was literally over run by mice and unless one of the previous owners removed it i fear it became a mouse house . The good thing is it must have always had a good roof over it as the body is super clean .
I actually contacted just last week the lady i bought the car from to get some more info from her and she did tell me the first owner did race the car and thats probably when the engine was all hopped up . Unfortunately all 3 people that owned it before me have passed away now . The 2nd person that owned the car just passed away this last November .

usraptor

Wow!  What a great find and project!  :banana: I can't wait to see your progress as you get it back on the road.  I agree about keeping the outside original for now. It looks pretty good in the pics for an original car.  :twothumbsup:  My '70 'Cuda numbers matching "U" code 440 had also been raced hard by the original owner.  He had had the engine and trans rebuilt in 1983 but never installed them and put the car in storage where it remained until I bought it in 2009.  I had my engine builder go through the engine just to make sure it was okay and he found it was also bored over .030 but was otherwise in good condition. I ran it for a couple of years but was afraid I might put a rod through the block as I have a heavy right foot. :stayinlane: So I pulled the engine and it now resides on an engine stand in my shop while I run a "built" 440 "U" code that's pushing 600 HP.
Keep us posted on your progress and keep those pics coming.  That helps keeping the post interesting.

johnshotrods

Well just a small update on the 440 rebuild , got the block and heads back from the machine shop that does my cleaning and magnafluxing and everything came back good so that was a relief . Now its off to the machine shop that does the actual machine work . The first thing were gonna do is sacrifice a set of cam bearings , reason being is during tear down the center cam bearing came out with the cam shaft so we will need to see if the cam tunnel is ok .I,ve never had that happen so we will see what happens there . The cam journal looks good to the naked eye but the only way to know for sure is to see if a new one goes in with the proper interference fit .