Main Menu

1970 T/A engine paint code

Started by 70 Top Banana, September 23, 2024, 06:51:17 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Top Banana

Hey guys, I have been sick and off the radar for a while. I also know this subject has come up several times but I can't find the answer. I need the factory engine paint code for my T/A. I am back on the project, kinda, as my stamina allows. Thanks!

R/T's 4 R/P

It's hemi orange.
The next question is what product (rattle can or auto paint) do you want to use.
What finish and durability are you aiming for?
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

Mr Cuda

One has to be careful when buying paint with a name.
 Hemi orange is different when buying based on from who or what. Hemi orange exterior color ev2 is correct for 340-440. Don't know if correct on a hemi.
 Hemi orange spray can engine paint, (i.e. mopar performance) can be lighter.

erik70rt

In a nutshell, there were two shades of hemi orange used on engines - 1. Street Hemi Orange 2. Race Hemi Orange. 

What you want is Street Hemi Orange which is the darker of the two. 

I use Duplicolor/Plastikote  DE1622.  I've used it on a couple of engines and really like it.  It's a rattle can, so you won't get the exact factory finish.  It's available on Amazon.
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

Skdmark

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

70 Top Banana

This is great and thanks! I have been to a lot of shows and looked at several T/A engines and have seen different color variations. The car I thought was the most correct was a different shade of orange compared to the air breather. It also had painted exhaust manifolds the front pump hose and clamps painted orange as well as the bell housing. Sound correct?
One more question. I have spent quite a bit of time prepping the engine for paint. Do I need primer or can I color shoot it without primer.
Thanks!

70 Top Banana

At the end of the restoration, what I would like to end up with is a correct engine color like it left the factory with durability to last. While I want it correct, and look good, I am going to drive it.

RUNCHARGER

I like to dust primer on them before spray gun paint. The air cleaners were a different shade of orange than the engine.
Sheldon

erik70rt

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on September 24, 2024, 07:09:11 PMI like to dust primer on them before spray gun paint. The air cleaners were a different shade of orange than the engine.

What shade of orange is correct for the air cleaner?
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

70 Top Banana