Main Menu

1971 hemi cuda

Started by dbishop1113, June 28, 2018, 06:00:21 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

"Alan" is just sharing "his" opinion, like everybody else. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

303 Mopar

Quote from: anlauto on June 29, 2018, 04:49:23 AM
The car is likely worth more restored original with the 340.

What is it with you and 340 cars?  First it was a 340 Cuda would be worth more than a Cuda with a Hellcat engine, and now a 340 is worth more than one with a 426 Hemi. A '71 Cuda with a 426 Hemi will out sell any 340 Cuda everyday of the week. 

IMO drop in that Hemi and drive the tires off of it!   :banana:

Chryco Psycho

It is Only worth anything IF you plan to sell & if someone steps up to buy it .
It can be worth a Lot more than $$  to an owner who never wants to sell it & & wants to have their dream car .
Life is not only about $$

RUNCHARGER

I think the Hemi engine will increase the value of the car by about the same amount as the conversion will cost. I've done quite a few conversions and to be honest I won't do another one but I can see why people who have always wanted a HemiCuda want to do one. Ha, and if I want an honest opinion on something I would ask Alan, he will give you the straight goods (as most on here will of course).
The nice thing about a conversion is that it can be done without cutting anything (especially on a 26 inch rad A/C car) and this car could have a 340 back into it in a weekend if need be.
Sheldon

dbishop1113

Appreciate the comments..

I see hemi clones in the 6 figures.....never seen a 340 priced that high.

It's about the hemi mystique....so not negotiable....although if I told you what I paid for car and hemi you'd probably wouldn't believe it, let's just say that it's in the neighborhood of the hemi crate engine alone...

Did I mention it's a factory fc7 car[emoji47] With fender tag data plate??

So plans are to restore but not concours.....not gonna detail every component like it came from factory.....I want a "brand new" hemi cuda with modern suspension feel, brakes, ac, but completely stock looking outside and interior

Bigger 4 wheel disk brakes, wheels/tires, slightly lower more aggressive stance, Hotchkis front suspension with qa1 crossmember and lower control arms, gear vendor overdrive with 727, fuel injection. 

Goal is to leave it bolt on mods so if someone wants to restore it to its "former glory" then they can later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoooter

can't wait to see progress pictures

Chryco Psycho

That sounds like a great plan
Leaving the suspension essentially stock with upgrades is a good plan , many upgrades are really not upgrades .
Be careful with the brakes again many upgrades are not , often the simpler swaps work better than high $$ conversions , you have to be careful with rear disc calipers as they can interfere with the rear sway bar , there is a jeep swap & Dr Diff offers a good conversion too , you may need hydroboost to get enough pressure .
something simple like Tiberon seats can make the drive more comfortable but can be swapped back to stock in minutes also .
looking forward to the build  :twothumbsup:

anlauto

Nice thing about opinions...like assholes, everybody has one.... :drinkingbud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

303 Mopar

Quote from: dbishop1113 on June 29, 2018, 10:21:03 AM
So plans are to restore but not concours.....not gonna detail every component like it came from factory.....I want a "brand new" hemi cuda with modern suspension feel, brakes, ac, but completely stock looking outside and interior

Bigger 4 wheel disk brakes, wheels/tires, slightly lower more aggressive stance, Hotchkis front suspension with qa1 crossmember and lower control arms, gear vendor overdrive with 727, fuel injection. 

This is going to fun watching it come together!  There are a lot of guys with experience running a lot of aftermarket parts, so good and some not so good, so feel free to ask questions of even PM some of us, me included! 

dbishop1113

Any good project starts with research and preparation....

What list of reference materials such as service manual, body asembly, torque specs, etc should I look at?  Best place to get them from? Or do all the vendors sell the same thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chryco Psycho

The factory service manual is an awesome resource but most of it is backed up here now .

Hotchkiss has great products , well balanced pkg with hollow sway bars & a lot of great parts that will bolt in without re-engineering the car .
Double adjustable shocks can make a huge difference , composite leaf springs are available also .
If you plan to go to larger 17/18" wheels the brakes can become bigger as well . A lot of handling gains are made just in the tires & wheels .
Another option for EFI is the Hemi 6 pack intake & the triple throttle body set up .

nsmall

Maybe start a thread on your specific plans as this can get expensive fast and you dont want to do anything twice if you can prevent it.

Lots of experience on this site.  Im not assuming you haven't done your research, its just nice to be 100% confidence you are making the best choices

CudaMoparRay

Chryco

Dont forget to call me for elastomeric bumpers and shaker kit :1place:
Tommy The Chryco
Cuda Rubber Bumpers and The Better "Shaker Kits"
1-866-893-2547

rhamson

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on June 29, 2018, 06:45:33 AM
It is your car , just build your dream  , Alan is just being Alan
:iagree: