Main Menu

1971 hemi cuda

Started by dbishop1113, June 28, 2018, 06:00:21 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Katfish

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on June 30, 2018, 11:52:45 PM
Oh, that mostly red fastback is a nice car!

Agreed, I love my Challenger but would trade for that in a heartbeat!
Restomod Mustsngs are awesome, Elenor from the Gone in 60 Seconds remake has to be my dream car.

anlauto

I just re-read this thread to see where the $50K number came from....

In my experience....32 years of restoring Mopars, over 30 E Bodies in that time frame.....I can tell you that you will have to work more to be able to bump that number up.
Coming from a Ford background where you can buy a pair of exterior door handles from Scott Drake for $35.00 or a radio antenna kit for $19......comparative parts for a 1971 Cuda will cost you $130 for door handles and $105 for an antenna kit...On average I spend about $24K on each car for the reproduction parts needed to fully restore an E Body

...and it doesn't stop there. Aftermarket parts such as AC conversion kits, front suspension kits, wheels, brakes etc...etc...etc... are all generally more expensive for a Mopar then a Chev or Ford.

Also, seeing the car's current condition, hopefully it came with everything because the missing parts are expensive.

Reading your list of wants....I'd say you're looking at a $100K plus to build. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Fastmark

Listening to Alan is something you really need to consider. His experience and knowledge is well earned. We've never met, but but my experiences are similar. Yes, Hemis are way up on the cool factor so if thats what you have to have, then go for it. Just heed his advice. I have personal knowledge of two 71 hemi cuda clones that sold at the Mecum Dallas auction last year. I believe they both sold for less than $90,000. Both cars had well over 150,000 in each. I know the owner. Now I have worked and driven hemi Cudas, big blocks and 340 cars. With a iron hemi, get ready for front end heavy, no handling, and a very harsh riding car. My personal favorite is still my AAR. It drives so nice. Coming from the Mustang word, just get ready for sticker shock on parts. Don't fall to the idea of buying all the cheaply made Chinese reproduction parts like gauges. Send yours off to get them restored. It just adds up. Congrats on the buy. You did well on the buy. Most start out with a rust bucket and get in too deep on bodywork. Keep at it. It will be worth it in the end. There are a sea of Mustangs but not many can have a purple ebody!

dbishop1113

I have already been pricing a lot of the parts.  50k is by no means a hard ceiling....more of a hope.  Bottom line is there is no budget to get it done. The bill will be what it is..
I do plan on doing a lot of the restoration myself, in my previous career I was an automotive technician for over a decade, and very mechanically inclined, just have very little experience with "paint and body"

The shop where it's at is a relative who builds cars, longtime mopar guy.....his previous cars have body work/paint ranging from 12-15 k, so planning on that.

Once the mock-up/body work /paint stage is over, I will be tag teaming it with the shop to do a bunch to not only keep cost down but to play an intricate part of the restoration.  I will build the rear end/driveline, suspension, a/c, interior

The hemi is complete pan to intake, has three dyno pulls on it and basically been on stand for a while, so I will most likely take it to machine shop for tear down, inspection, and probably just put new rings/bearings/seals etc in, but shouldn't need any extensive machine work.

Have a big block 727 and a gearvendor overdrive I picked up cheap from the seller.

I don't plan on selling either car in the next decade so we will see where prices land then.  Reality is I plan on just adding to the stable......looking at a 70 Chevelle SS or a 69/70 gto next but
That one I keep telling myself will be a finished car.... no more major overhauls until these are completed.....of course we went to a July 4th car show yesterday and the wife tried to buy someone's car!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blown motor

Go for the GTO. Chevelles are thick as fleas on a dog.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

dbishop1113

First shipment of parts trickling in....up first is car tool stage 2 chassis strengthening
Subframe connectors, radiator support, inner fender braces, and torque boxes..

Cuda70-74

Nice chassis strengthening is a nice upgrade. The only 2 really needed  is the inner fender braces which is a pain to paint once its welded in and subframe connector. The rest seems just for show in my opinion
1969 mustang
1974 cuda turnt into a 71 cuda
1968 charger

dbishop1113

Will need both quarters, passenger side was beat up good with thick bondo, drivers had repair sectioned behind door that apparently got rehit and needs repair again, and lower rear section rust holes, would have to section 2 or 3 areas so easiest to replace.....overall not much surprises besides quarters

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

dbishop1113

Quote from: anlauto on September 13, 2018, 04:07:59 PM
There goes the budget  :bigmoney: :'(
Actually it only added $1500 over what I had already planned. Knew they needed attention but replacing makes more sense now...I'm happy....not really a budget, it'll take what it takes to get done

dbishop1113

In epoxy primer

usraptor

That's pretty much the same condition my '70 Cuda was in when I media blasted it.  Also replaced rear quarters because the originals just needed to much work.  Good luck and keep us posted.

Chryco Psycho

Looking good , nice progress  :twothumbsup:

anlauto

That's the way all projects should start. :alan2cents:

RUNCHARGER

Yup: When the final paint is on there will be no worry about what's still happening underneath.
Sheldon