Main Menu

1972 'Cuda (FY1) - 5.7L Hemi, T56 Magnum

Started by GoodysGotaCuda, January 07, 2017, 02:22:29 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

I would have painted the front of the engine orange, but that's just me :brainiac:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: anlauto on January 07, 2017, 01:40:36 PM
I would have painted the front of the engine orange, but that's just me :brainiac:

That's whole lot of orange. Integrated alternator and compressor wouldn't have a good point to break color either and would likely need to be orange as well. Then it's even -more- orange.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

anlauto

I suppose...but a whole lot of orange screams MOPAR ! 8)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Cuda Cody

@GoodysGotaCuda I know how much that car means to you.  You should be very proud of all your hard work and it's a true pleasure getting to watch you transform that car in to a beast!  Keep up the good work.  I'll be eagerly waiting for more updates.   :popcorn:

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 07, 2017, 06:45:24 PM
@GoodysGotaCuda I know how much that car means to you.  You should be very proud of all your hard work and it's a true pleasure getting to watch you transform that car in to a beast!  Keep up the good work.  I'll be eagerly waiting for more updates.   :popcorn:

Thanks! Unfortunately the upcoming updates will be quite boring to look at, wiring.  :stayinlane:

...but it must be done!
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

HP_Cuda

Quite the transformation there.

Wiring is not that fun but one of those necessities.

Keep it up!

:drinkingbud:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

GoodysGotaCuda

Not much excitement in this update, it's been nothing but wiring for me lately.

I started with a Painless harness, a EFISource Hemi harness and a Vintage Air harness, they are all being well integrated into one complete vehicle harness. The Painless fuse box turned out to be more trouble than it was worth to me. Many of the circuits I would either not use, or it would be mislabeled, which I found annoying. I also needed room to put relays, quite a few of them.

So I took the perfectly new Painless fuse box and cut it out! I replaced it with a Bussman fuse/relay box that I have wired from scratch. I am nearly complete with that part of it and am working to ensure I account for all of the new circuits I want to incorporate. Vehicle speed into the ECU, oil temp, check engine light, 2-step, flat-shift, traction control, datalogging, etc., etc.

The idea is to trim the new fuse box in using the original glove box inserts. In my head it will turn out very nice with a semi-functional glove box with a nice tucked in fuse box within it.

It looks like a war zone but anyone that has done a completely custom/EFI harness like this likely knows how it goes. I hope to be able to put power to the car by the end of the month, but that may be a stretch. I have yet to upfit the gauges into the gauge bezel, which will hinder some of that progress as well.

...eating the elephant one bite at a time and working late in the garage after my toddler goes to bed!

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

anlauto

Brads70

Hat's off to ya brother! Electrical is so NOT my thing. I'd be so lost/frustrated doing what your doing.

Cuda Cody

That's some next level stuff right there my man!  Wire is scaring to me when it's all stock.  You gotta be on your "A" game and know what you're doing to pull off what you're doing!   :clapping:

Cudakiller70

You are doing an amazing job on this car. :clapping: keep posting want to see it all. Would you do vintage air again or OEM or hybrid? Looking for info on future install.

GoodysGotaCuda

Thanks for the encouragement! Wiring is actually one of my strong suits, I'm well in tune with what's going on in this setup.

I really don't have any complaints with the Painless harness though, I suppose that post could be read as me knocking them. It works just fine, what I need is just at a far higher level than "off the shelf".

I have been trying to track some of my process with a crude diagram to reference later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Cudakiller70 on January 22, 2017, 08:03:04 PM
You are doing an amazing job on this car. :clapping: keep posting want to see it all. Would you do vintage air again or OEM or hybrid? Looking for info on future install.

We shall see, overall id say vintage air has pros and cons. It depends on your expectations.

The wiring harness will work, but may have been laid out by Mickey Mouse. The box mounting and lines coming through the blows motor hole have a lot left to be desired. I made my own mounts so I did not drill through the firewall. The ports coming through the firewall is very cumbersome.

To it's benefit, it does have stepper motor controls and a nice switch panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Cudakiller70

Great info goody this is helpful to us all.

Please consider at the end of your build a recap, "If I had to do it over again", I wouldn't do this again and I really liked that.

I like Mickey Mouse, but only when we visit him in Southern California. Should have an ebody meet down there.

GoodysGotaCuda

I managed to spend about 20 hours this weekend on wiring and can say that it's pretty significantly complete now. I have yet to wire the front lights and am about halfway through the rear, but I have the majority of it knocked-out.

Once I button up the wiring I will pin-out check the ECU before applying power to it. From there I will start tearing up the steering column [for the quickener] and the fuel system. Targeting to try to start the engine mid/late March.
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs